What is the purpose of the "sync" directory?

rsvg
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I was just doing some house cleaning in my server and noticed my backups had increased in size, and so upon investigation I see that the sync directory is the large majority of the size.

Is this some type of cache?

What is it used for?

Can it be safely deleted?

Can you configure how often it is deleted/used?

Can it be configured to use a different storage device? I suppose I can just symlink it, but I am looking for best practices here.

Thanks!

Also, semi-unrelated, but I believe the "config-backup" directory was from a long time ago when I used the server backup plugin. I can safely delete that right? Thanks much!

image.png.83fde27c04c6b0a238df069f64707669.png

Also, semi-unrelated, but I believe the "config-backup" directory was from a long time ago when I used the server backup plugin. I can safely delete that right? Thanks much!

Hi, If you're no longer using it, then yes.

• Solution

The sync directory is used when you or your users create downloads or conversions, and the original file needs to be converted. The converted output will be stored in the sync directory until it is transferred to it's destination.

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, If you're no longer using it, then yes.

Thanks much, correct I am not using it. Appreciate the info.

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

The sync directory is used when you or your users create downloads or conversions, and the original file needs to be converted. The converted output will be stored in the sync directory until it is transferred to it's destination.

Interesting. I will symlink to a larger drive, thanks. 

Wanted to update this for anyone that happens upon it. 

After Luke provided the use of the directory I was able to navigate to ${emby}/web/index.html#!/conversions?mode=convert and see that I had a failed conversion of an entire tv series. As soon as I cancelled that the sync directory vanished in it's entirety. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
J0ZAH

So I'm trying to keep my docker server slim and the sync folder seems to be growing, I have checked the conversion tab in emby and it doesn't seem to be running any tasks. Is there a way to tell what it has converted and is there a task that cleans up the media? It was mentioned that it should be moving the converted files to a final destination but it doesn't seem to be finishing the transfer.
image.png.83b31855a1efaf3c09368407e84f55c9.png

On 4/20/2024 at 1:59 PM, J0ZAH said:

So I'm trying to keep my docker server slim and the sync folder seems to be growing, I have checked the conversion tab in emby and it doesn't seem to be running any tasks. Is there a way to tell what it has converted and is there a task that cleans up the media? It was mentioned that it should be moving the converted files to a final destination but it doesn't seem to be finishing the transfer.
image.png.83b31855a1efaf3c09368407e84f55c9.png

HI, check both the conversions and also the downloads section in the server setup. You can delete any existing jobs you may have created on those two screens. When you delete the jobs it will clear the temp files from the sync directory. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.