Large number of subtitle tracks causes video stream to stutter

Leader2light

Leader2light

It's a known problem with Samsung TVs.  Video will start to stutter if the number of internal tracks reaches around 30.  The best solution if to remux your video and remove any unneeded tracks.

Is any fix possible for this besides remuxing the video with less subtitles?  

Seems to be more and more of an issue for myself. 

Leader2light

https://i.imgur.com/Xdv7wfg.png

There is the media info.  It has 33 text streams and freezes every few seconds even with subs turned off entirely.  

embyserver.txt

embyserver.txt

The basic problem seems to be any video file with around 20 or 30 subtitle tracks has freezing issues.  I have seen this with many different files now both movies and TV shows.  The problem with playback only happens through the Samsung TV emby app

Edited by Leader2light

Happy2Play

Pretty sure it is a limitation of the Samsung player itself but the devs will have to comment more.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:28 PM, SamES said:

The issue is the Samsung player which we utilise in this app.  So I would say this is Samsung specific, but not something we can change in the app.  

• Agree 1

I think ultimately we'll have to add a transcoding condition and have the server transcode so that we're not sending back every single subtitle stream at once.

Leader2light
On 6/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, Luke said:

I think ultimately we'll have to add a transcoding condition and have the server transcode so that we're not sending back every single subtitle stream at once.

That would be great.  

Dickydodah!

I just strip the subtitles with Another GUI https://www.stuudio.ee/AnotherGUI/ This is quick and easy and can do a folder at a time. I need to tweak it a bit as currently it removes all subtitles and it would be more useful if it left the default language in place, English in my case. I'm no expert in using it so I tend to put up with the default and just download external subs if needed.

It uses MKVmerge.exe with these parameters

--audio-tracks 1 --default-track 0:yes --default-track 1:yes --no-subtitles "<FullSourceFileName>" --output "<OutputPath><OutputFileName>.mkv"

@LukeAs an alternatve to trancoding could a plugin scan the library or new files as they are added and strip all subtitles except chosen languages? MKVmerge does a single episode in under a minute with not much CPU overhead.

3 hours ago, Dickydodah! said:

I just strip the subtitles with Another GUI https://www.stuudio.ee/AnotherGUI/ This is quick and easy and can do a folder at a time. I need to tweak it a bit as currently it removes all subtitles and it would be more useful if it left the default language in place, English in my case. I'm no expert in using it so I tend to put up with the default and just download external subs if needed.

It uses MKVmerge.exe with these parameters

--audio-tracks 1 --default-track 0:yes --default-track 1:yes --no-subtitles "<FullSourceFileName>" --output "<OutputPath><OutputFileName>.mkv"

@LukeAs an alternatve to trancoding could a plugin scan the library or new files as they are added and strip all subtitles except chosen languages? MKVmerge does a single episode in under a minute with not much CPU overhead.

Sure but you don't really need a plugin for that. Anything that can scan your video files will do.

FrostByte

I have a PowerShell which removes all the subs for me except English and then remuxes.  I would much rather remove subs before hitting Play, than remuxing during playback.

A plugin might be a little more automated if it could be triggered after new media was added. 

FrostByte

Another benefit of a plugin is that it could be easily made to only check for newly added stuff.  This PS script has to run through the whole library and look for subs != English without adding some sort of check of newly added stuff to Emby.  

Dickydodah!

I have now found an even better solution https://tdarr.io/. Tdarr is currently stripping all the subtitles from my files even though I could have retained the english ones as it is very configurable 😁 I let Emby download the external Forced English subtitles I need.

It is quite easy to setup especially if you already run Sonarr or Radarr. My media server is low powered so it is taking a while to do the whole library but the big advantage is that it can monitor your library for new files and process them immediatley or even after a delay (which I would reccomend if you are using the likes of Sonarr or Radarr)

If you have enough processing power you can even transcode from H.264 to H.265 and save a huge amount of space. My Microserver running an AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor  @ 1.50 GHz is likley to take rather a long time to trancode 11TB so I don't think I'll bother. As Tdarr can use distributed computing I may look for anothe PC just to do the codec conversion.

For me this will bypass the issue with the Samsung TVs easily and I guess it should fit most users requirements as I doubt many people need 30+ languages.

• Like 1

Dickydodah!

Just need to get themes working again on my older TV and I'm back to a perfect solution 😂

• 3 weeks later...
Leader2light

My current work around is using Samsung Dex to cast Emby to the Samsung TV.  Then my phone handles the media playback and not the TV.   

It works fine for the most part.  I don't really want to mess around with transcoding the subs out of all my media.  If Emby server could do that on its own, that would be great.  Or just have an actual fix where the TV could handle that many subs.  I guess the problem is with something on Samsung's end and not Emby?

Edited by Leader2light

26 minutes ago, Leader2light said:

My current work around is using Samsung Dex to cast Emby to the Samsung TV.  Then my phone handles the media playback and not the TV.   

It works fine for the most part.  I don't really want to mess around with transcoding the subs out of all my media.  If Emby server could do that on its own, that would be great.  Or just have an actual fix where the TV could handle that many subs.  I guess the problem is with something on Samsung's end and not Emby?

HI, yes but we're working on a workaround so that you don't have to do this.

Leader2light
43 minutes ago, Luke said:

Great, thanks

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
cameronfulford
On 7/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, Luke said:

Any news on this?

17 hours ago, cameronfulford said:

Any news on this?

Hi, yes it’s in the upcoming 4.8 server release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
dat800

@Luke apologies for bringing up an old thread but is there any news on this ? I'm seeing the same thing and would rather not have to re-encode. I am running the latest 4.8 beta but don't see any setting anywhere to force transcoding based on the number of subs/streams.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, dat800 said:

@Luke apologies for bringing up an old thread but is there any news on this ? I'm seeing the same thing and would rather not have to re-encode. I am running the latest 4.8 beta but don't see any setting anywhere to force transcoding based on the number of subs/streams.

Thanks

HI, this is something that we need to add but haven't  yet.

FrostByte
14 minutes ago, dat800 said:

Thanks

A button would be nice.  However, it doesn't require a reencode, just a remux which is a lot quicker.  There are some scripts posted which will do it until such time as a button is added.