Emby in Travel Trailer - best way?

Spyrus

Spyrus

Hi All,

I have Emby at home running off a Windows server and access it either off Firesticks or iOS devices.

I recently purchased a travel trailer that has limited access to high speed Internet and am looking for a way to extend part or all of my server to the Trailer. I’m happy adding another hard drive that has less capacity and just loading what I want but don’t know the best way to host and access the additional Emby server. Also, do I need an additional lifetime membership for the trailer?  

My first thought was a RPI and an external hard drive but they are near impossible to get my hands on right now so I need something small form factor and accessible from a TV that has HDMI. 

any recommendations?

12 hours ago, Spyrus said:

Also, do I need an additional lifetime membership for the trailer?  

Hi.  Not if your combined device usage will stay below the 25 limit.

@GrimReaper may have some tips on disconnected usage.

GrimReaper
13 hours ago, Spyrus said:

I recently purchased a travel trailer that has limited access to high speed Internet and am looking for a way to extend part or all of my server to the Trailer. I’m happy adding another hard drive that has less capacity and just loading what I want but don’t know the best way to host and access the additional Emby server. Also, do I need an additional lifetime membership for the trailer?  

Not really sure about the arrangement there, since trailer does have internet access, do you want to access your home server remotely or have another server in the trailer (which would then be completely unrelated to your home server, you can share Premiere key but that is the only sharing point, you'll still have to provide likely local media)? 

If former, you don't need additional server, just your Firestick sticked into trailer TV. 

If latter, Nvidia Shield (or any other MiniPC) would do the job nicely as you'll have both server and client on the same machine connected via HDMI to your trailer TV. Combine it with external HDD and you're good to do, you'll have to verify Premiere license every few weeks (three at the most, AFAIK) but that shouldn't be a problem seeing trailer does have internet access. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

Spyrus

Trailer likely has very bad Internet or none so the nvidia shield or mini PC sounds like the way to go. I would be fine adding an additional smaller drive and just syncing what I need/want. 

Would the interface be just web based or what’s the best way to control it without having to sit with a mouse and keyboard and find my content?

sorry if these are trivial questions, just used to using a Windows server with Firestick access at home. 

GrimReaper
29 minutes ago, Spyrus said:

Would the interface be just web based or what’s the best way to control it without having to sit with a mouse and keyboard and find my content?

If you go with Shield (Android TV), you'd have basically same client app as your Firestick has. 

If you go with some 4x4 NUC-alike (Win, Linux) you'd use browser or Emby Theater in TV mode (seeing you have Premiere subscription), both of which have been optimized for large screen viewing and control by remote, so you'd have proper TV UI whichever option you go with. 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

If you go with some 4x4 NUC-alike (Win, Linux) you'd use browser or Emby Theater in TV mode (seeing you have Premiere subscription), both of which have been optimized for large screen viewing and control by remote, so you'd have proper TV UI whichever option you go with.

Key here though is internet validation will be required at some interval or full playback will fail.

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Key here though is internet validation will be required at some interval or full playback will fail.

8 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

you'll have to verify Premiere license every few weeks (three at the most, AFAIK) but that shouldn't be a problem seeing trailer does have internet access.