Losing connection when switching internet

rodainas

rodainas

When switching connection to my server from wifi to mobile internet data, I lose connection to the server, always need to force close the iOS app or use the option change server and select my server again after that I regain connection to the server.

I dont know if this happens with android devices as I dont have one to test this scenario.

• Like 1

lorac

It happens on Android as well. My workaround currently is to close emby, disable WiFi, open emby and start playing media before leaving. It's annoying I agree. 

Hi, the apps can handle this automatically when you're just browsing around.

Currently they can't handle this in the middle of media playback and that's something we'll look to improve in future updates. Thanks.

• Like 2

rodainas
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Currently they can't handle this in the middle of media playback and that's something we'll look to improve in future updates. Thanks.

Am referring when browsing around, the connection keeps hanging after switching internet.

The scenario is like this:

if I don't take action (as force closing the app or using the "Change Server" option to re-select my server), the connection to the server is lost and it reconnects automatically after a while (2 or 3 minutes give or take) , that's why to regain browsing capability immediately I use the aforementioned options.

On 6/19/2022 at 1:56 PM, rodainas said:

Am referring when browsing around, the connection keeps hanging after switching internet.

The scenario is like this:

if I don't take action (as force closing the app or using the "Change Server" option to re-select my server), the connection to the server is lost and it reconnects automatically after a while (2 or 3 minutes give or take) , that's why to regain browsing capability immediately I use the aforementioned options.

If you take no action it will recover, but you may just have to wait a minute for requests to timeout and fail, and then for the app to go through the process of figuring out which server address to switch to.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Tremas

On 6/19/2022 at 11:36 AM, Luke said:

For me, not switching during media playback is my number one issue with the iPhone app.

If I am in my garage and start a music playlist, it stops playing when I drive out of distance from my home's wifi. I have to remember to turn off wifi when I get in the car to start playing music, and re-enable it when I get home. Frustrating. Any improvement on this would be extremely welcome!

pwhodges

I have a split-horizon DNS setup - i.e. the same server name links to my external IP when outside my network and my internal IP when at home.  I set up Emby on my iPhone using the server name and don't notice any discontinuity when I move in or out of wifi range.  This is playing audio, not video, of course.

Paul

Tremas
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

I have a split-horizon DNS setup - i.e. the same server name links to my external IP when outside my network and my internal IP when at home.  I set up Emby on my iPhone using the server name and don't notice any discontinuity when I move in or out of wifi range.  This is playing audio, not video, of course.

Paul

Interesting. Yes, I am only playing audio as well. Are you playing large single files by any chance (like an audio book .m4b)? To be clear, the audio doesn't stop immediately when it is out of range. What I find is that the emby app will continue to the end of whatever track/file I have started when I leave my garage, and then when it comes time to advance to the next track in the playlist, it just hangs. Sometimes it will kick in again if I give it 5 minutes or so, but most times it does not and I have to close and re-launch the app.

That said, I'm no networking expert and I would certainly be open to the idea that it could be a configuration issue on my end. I am using a reverse proxy with my own domain name. But Luke gave the impression that the iPhone app doesn't handle switching from wifi to mobile data during media playback (at least not immediately), and that sure sounds like the issue I'm having.

And for all of that, I'm still using it every morning 😀

pwhodges

The trouble is, my house is in a bad mobile signal area, so I'm used to pauses when away from wifi.  But in the less stressed movement of coming into wifi range, I do not expect any breaks, even at the next file swap.

Paul