Emby as a Service Update Issues

mirdragon
Go to solution Solved by mirdragon,

mirdragon

I run emby as a service so I don't have to login to the machine it is running from.

Today I wanted to check something and it said that I needed to restart emby to complete and update of which I done. It then reported there was an update to 4.7.2.0 and to shutdown emby to complete this.

On doing so, it says it shutting down emby, downloads the update, goes to install and then displays the configuration of setting up a new system from scratch, of which I don't want to do. If I cancel this and restart emby i just get the old version still. 

So how do you perform this update as never had to do this before as usually just need to restart emby for it to be completed

MBSki

I use the portable version to update. Just stop the service, renaming your current system folder to system.old, unzip the download, and copy the system from the download to your Emby Server folder. After that just restart the service. One question...what version are you currently on? There's a rare issue of the played status filters not working after 4.6.7 so you might want to wait if you're on 4.6.7.

Possible reasons:

• You originally installed portable to a different location, and have since forgotten that you did that. You'll need to update the same way rather than running the installer from the website.
  • You're updating using a different windows user than the user who originally installed it

mirdragon
1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

I use the portable version to update. Just stop the service, renaming your current system folder to system.old, unzip the download, and copy the system from the download to your Emby Server folder. After that just restart the service. One question...what version are you currently on? There's a rare issue of the played status filters not working after 4.6.7 so you might want to wait if you're on 4.6.7.

Yes I'm on 4.6.7

58 minutes ago, Luke said:

Possible reasons:

• You originally installed portable to a different location, and have since forgotten that you did that. You'll need to update the same way rather than running the installer from the website.
  • You're updating using a different windows user than the user who originally installed it

Installed using the same user as originally installed  and installer (windows)

Installer runs and renames the current system to system.old and creates a new system folder

Still doesn't answer the issue of why previously it would update automatically from within the emby configuration screen in the browser and on this occasion it won't

Edited by mirdragon

Still doesn't answer the issue of why previously it would update automatically from within the emby configuration screen in the browser and on this occasion it won't

Automatic updates are not supported from the windows service, so that's always going to be a manual process.

Installer runs and renames the current system to system.old and creates a new system folder

Then it's hard to say why. Please attach the emby server log and perhaps we'll be able to spot something. Thanks.

• Solution
mirdragon
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

Automatic updates are not supported from the windows service, so that's always going to be a manual process.

Then it's hard to say why. Please attach the emby server log and perhaps we'll be able to spot something. Thanks.

resolved it - took a bit of messing about but now seems to be up and running with correct version. not sure if it was anything due to getting the camera upload activated as the initial 45 image uploads were corrupted but the rest were fine.

• Thanks 1