Emby Server Taking up All Available Memory

GavinCampbell

GavinCampbell

Hi,

I've recently run into a situation where my emby docker was taking up all available memory (at times more than 12GB) and causing issues on my unraid server.  I have since limited the docker to 6GB and it now runs out of memory as it seems to max that out quickly.

In troubleshooting this I removed all plugins and undid any other custom settings with no luck.  I have been able to replicate this by forcing a library scan.

I have included a server log.  Hopefully this has anything that can help figure out what is going on.

At this point I'm not sure what more I can try. 

embyserver.txt

SamES

I have seen a similar issue when the library scan has trouble with a specific photo in the photo library.

Try enabling debug logging, start a library scan, then check the log and check what the last item being scanned is when it starts to fill the memory.  Remove that photo, and try the scan again after restarting.

GavinCampbell

Thanks.  This is on a video library but will give that a shot and see if its having issues with one of the videos.

Hi, can you enable debug logging, then restart the server, recreate the issue, and provide the debug log? thanks !

GavinCampbell
Just now, Luke said:

Hi, can you enable debug logging, then restart the server, recreate the issue, and provide the debug log? thanks !

Your in luck.  I just did that.  I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the emby-next-gen integration with Kodi.

I ended up launching Kodi and that connected to the server and started running a log of things and you will see when it hits the out of memory.  Pretty quickly too.

I can take this to the dev of that Kodi plugin if you see the same thing.

embyserver(2).txt

6 minutes ago, GavinCampbell said:

Your in luck.  I just did that.  I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the emby-next-gen integration with Kodi.

I ended up launching Kodi and that connected to the server and started running a log of things and you will see when it hits the out of memory.  Pretty quickly too.

I can take this to the dev of that Kodi plugin if you see the same thing.

embyserver(2).txt 808.6 kB · 0 downloads

If you want to test that then what you could do is just shutdown all kodi instances so that they can't connect to your emby server, and then see if it happens.

You can also try removing the kodi sync plugin as well.

GavinCampbell
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you want to test that then what you could do is just shutdown all kodi instances so that they can't connect to your emby server, and then see if it happens.

You can also try removing the kodi sync plugin as well.

Thanks.  Doing that now.  I only access content via Kodi.  I use emby as the server component. 

It was running quietly until I launched kodi and it started to sync data.  Then it quickly shot up in memory and maxed it out.

I'll shut them all down and see if the server acts up over night.  I also see that the plug dev QuickMic has released a few point updates to the plugin so I am also reviewing the change logs to see if anything was mentioned.

• Thanks 1

GavinCampbell

So good news. 

After disabling everything I could think of on the server and in kodi it all came down to the memory being eaten up whenever the emby next gen plugin decided to do a sync.  All it was executing was a query so no idea what was going on.

I then decided to just blow away the Emby Server config and start from scratch.

After recreating everything, I no longer have the issue.  Memory remains low and everything is working.

I'm thinking there may have been some database corruption along the way causing the queries to run amock. 

Its been a number of years since I did that so doesn't hurt to restart fresh.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Karsta62

emby Premiere 4.7.14.0 on ubuntu 22.04.3
Not sure if it's proper way to add to this solved case, but I have just the same issue. I just upgraded the emby server's memory from 8G to 16G but still emby takes it all plus swap and gets killed or something. No matter is anyone streaming or not. Though 8G is way too much already.
This behaviour has started quite recently and I have not changed anything afaik.
I also have kodi using emby next gen, but I need it. Or is there another option to sync kodi from emby as a back end?
Logs attached.

embyserver-logs.zip

Karsta62
1 hour ago, Karsta62 said:

emby Premiere 4.7.14.0 on ubuntu 22.04.3
Not sure if it's proper way to add to this solved case, but I have just the same issue. I just upgraded the emby server's memory from 8G to 16G but still emby takes it all plus swap and gets killed or something. No matter is anyone streaming or not. Though 8G is way too much already.
This behaviour has started quite recently and I have not changed anything afaik.
I also have kodi using emby next gen, but I need it. Or is there another option to sync kodi from emby as a back end?
Logs attached.

embyserver-logs.zip 12.11 kB · 0 downloads

An addition:
I just checked kodi and it has not synced anyting for a few days from emby. At least most recent items do not appear in kodi's interface. Still emby has chocked this morning EET.

Karsta62
23 hours ago, Karsta62 said:

An addition:
I just checked kodi and it has not synced anyting for a few days from emby. At least most recent items do not appear in kodi's interface. Still emby has chocked this morning EET.

Maybe it really was "emby next get/emby" combination. There was an update for that plugin. Now emby consumes "only" 2.6G, but stays quite stable around that. Bearable for now.

• Thanks 1

Karsta62

Still not sure. It's now using 5G and been running one day. Not at all under a heavy usage. Three episodes of a series, one by one.
Usage rises slowlier than before though. Kodi has not been involved in streaming.

Edited by Karsta62
more info

1 hour ago, Karsta62 said:

Two more episides and now using 7.6G. It's not healthy. The client is LG Smart TV app mostly.

HI, a couple things you could try:

• Disabling the realtime monitor on your emby libraries, then restarting the server
  • The 4.8 beta server

Karsta62
10 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, a couple things you could try:

• Disabling the realtime monitor on your emby libraries, then restarting the server
  • The 4.8 beta server

Thanks.
Realtime disabled now from all libraries and restarted. One stream online. Usage increased from <300M to 756M. Keeping my eye on it...

• Thanks 1