Show all of an actors name and movie name

justinrh

justinrh

I see this in the web app and the Android TV app.

While watching a video, and you select the cast button, an actor's name or the actor's role name will be truncated with an ellipsis.  Please show the entire name(s).

Here is an example from the web app:
image.png.eac4d621a5976519d49a7aa90f1aa238.png

Happy2Play

What would the best way to do this that would work on all clients?

Smaller text

Bigger cards

Pre wrap to new lines making footer bigger

Auto scroll

Edited by Happy2Play

justinrh

Those are good options, @Happy2Play.  I'll add that when you hover/highlight the card, the card width dynamically expands to fit the text, almost like a pop-up.

Happy2Play

white-space: pre-wrap;

image.thumb.png.897d7072b458e75fffdf46b9e43117c6.png

55 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Those are good options, @Happy2Play.  I'll add that when you hover/highlight the card, the card width dynamically expands to fit the text, almost like a pop-up.

Issue with hover is how large do you have to make it to fit everything?  Or are you just expanding the footer text?

But with extremely long text lines you will still have issue. Full card hover but then that affect entire vertical width

image.png.3cbb09cabba63df80fb018d30d0ec9f7.png image.png.2182060826bfbf682175f194880a05ed.png

But CardText is multiple lines cardText-first and cardText-secondary so hover is a little wonky for each lines as it is not one container.

justinrh

Either way.  I'm sure someone with good CSS (and/or JS) knowledge can make it work nicely.

I don't recall if the ATV app just makes the active card a little larger or if it overlaps the neighboring cards a bit.  Overlapping neighboring cards however much is needed would be okay.  It would be like an image carousel where the image window size is set by the image (common stuff on the ol' web).  I don't see any issues - it is straightforward conceptually and I'm not afraid of long text strings 😉

OSBuckeyes4Life

Why can't it just be a simultaneous scroll?  Just an idea....

justinrh
10 minutes ago, schoepp23 said:

simultaneous scroll

I'm not sure what you mean - can you explain or point to an example.  Are you talking about an automatic scroll where the text rolls by like a banner?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, schoepp23 said:

Why can't it just be a simultaneous scroll?  Just an idea....

That would be the only way I see this working assuming all clients can do this.  In the web client I just pre-wrap.  But assume ever platform/client/device will have their own quirks as things like this have always existed.

div.peopleSection .cardTextCentered {white-space: pre-wrap;}