4k movies freeze

Bobby121418

Bobby121418

Hi,

I have been using Emby server for a while and works fine with all non-4K and most 4K movies, but a few 4Ks cause momentary freezes. Sometimes these freezes are very frequent, but other times it happens every few minutes.

The movie that most recently seen doing this was Midway.

I have recently updated to latest server version 4.7.2.0. 

Any suggestions on why this maybe happening?

Many thanks 

Best

• 4 weeks later...
Bobby121418

Hi Luke, 

I will update to the latest and check and let you know.

Thanks for the follow up. 

Best

• 1 month later...
Bobby121418

Hi Luke,

I updated the server to the latest 4.7.6.0 and still notice freezes with 4K movies on LG tv. This does not happen on android app on smartphone.

Thanks 

Happy2Play
52 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Hi Luke,

I updated the server to the latest 4.7.6.0 and still notice freezes with 4K movies on LG tv. This does not happen on android app on smartphone.

Thanks 

Would have to compare playback differences of android app to LG TV app.

If ac3 audio track is selected instead of unsupported TrueHD, do these play normal?

Bobby121418

Thanks for the quick response.

So, I usually try the AC3 or DTS tracks whichever that is available. TrueHD and/or 7.1 has been giving issues for a while now (different thread). However even with ac3 or dts several movies have freeze issues. Examples are:

Back to the future 1,2 ac3 5.1 

Jurassic park dts 5.1

Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom ac3 5.1

Others that do not seem to are:

Hunt for the Red October Ac3 5.1

Independence Day DTS 5.1

Thanks

Happy2Play
12 hours ago, Bobby121418 said:

Thanks for the quick response.

So, I usually try the AC3 or DTS tracks whichever that is available. TrueHD and/or 7.1 has been giving issues for a while now (different thread). However even with ac3 or dts several movies have freeze issues. Examples are:

Back to the future 1,2 ac3 5.1 

Jurassic park dts 5.1

Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom ac3 5.1

Others that do not seem to are:

Hunt for the Red October Ac3 5.1

Independence Day DTS 5.1

Thanks

And what is their playback method?  As in theory they should be direct playing with ac3.

Bobby121418
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And what is their playback method?  As in theory they should be direct playing with ac3.

Sorry, I am unsure I understand your question.

Playback method? 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Sorry, I am unsure I understand your question.

Playback method? 

Direct Play/Remux(Direct Stream)/Transcode -  all methods will do something different

Direct Play just serves the media as is

Direct Stream could change containers and if needed convert audio

Transcode video is converted and audio if needed

Bobby121418
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Direct Play/Remux(Direct Stream)/Transcode -  all methods will do something different

Direct Play just serves the media as is

Direct Stream could change containers and if needed convert audio

Transcode video is converted and audio if needed

I would say its direct play. No transcoding needed given TV is on same LAN. Also the cpu is not running hot on these.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Bobby121418 said:

I would say its direct play. No transcoding needed given TV is on same LAN. Also the cpu is not running hot on these.

If issues still happen when Direct Playing that suggests a network or hardware issue as the player is getting the media directly from source so Emby really is not involved.

There are some variable if Emby is http direct streaming the media as that is technically still direct playing.

Bobby121418
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If issues still happen when Direct Playing that suggests a network or hardware issue as the player is getting the media directly from source so Emby really is not involved.

There are some variable if Emby is http direct streaming the media as that is technically still direct playing.

So 2 questions:

1.why with the same hardware and network some movies work, while others do not?

2. On Android device running latesed Emby app and under same LAN condition, no issues seen with any?

Happy2Play
Just now, Bobby121418 said:

1.why with the same hardware and network some movies work, while others do not?

Every movies is encoded differently and could have different codecs and bitrates so no two movies will ever be equal.

1 minute ago, Bobby121418 said:

2. On Android device running latesed Emby app and under same LAN condition, no issues seen with any?

Every player had different tolerances so something works flawlessly Android will have completely different issues on say a Roku or TV app built in player.

Bobby121418
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Every movies is encoded differently and could have different codecs and bitrates so no two movies will ever be equal.

Every player had different tolerances so something works flawlessly Android will have completely different issues on say a Roku or TV app built in player.

Ok thanks. Its just that it seems this problem has been happening more after an upgrades, a few versions ago.

Bobby121418

Ok thanks. I always suspected the ISP router was not too good for high but rates even though they advertise 1Gbps.

So, some background, the movies mentioned above have bit rates above 60mbps. Added to this, it really depends how close your player, in my case the TV, is from the router. Furthermore you have to check how much interference there is with other (neighbour wifi) channels. The 5GHz, while it has a good bandwidth is very sensitive.

Unfortunately the ISP provided router is limited in configuration parameters and channels. I am using a separate router and I had to play around for quite a while to find the right channel so it does not interfere with others.

Hope this helps anyone facing this issue.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 6:35 AM, Bobby121418 said:

Ok thanks. I always suspected the ISP router was not too good for high but rates even though they advertise 1Gbps.

So, some background, the movies mentioned above have bit rates above 60mbps. Added to this, it really depends how close your player, in my case the TV, is from the router. Furthermore you have to check how much interference there is with other (neighbour wifi) channels. The 5GHz, while it has a good bandwidth is very sensitive.

Unfortunately the ISP provided router is limited in configuration parameters and channels. I am using a separate router and I had to play around for quite a while to find the right channel so it does not interfere with others.

Hope this helps anyone facing this issue.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing.