No LAN Access (New server installation)

qazwsx16
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

qazwsx16

I've recently installed Emby Server on a new Windows 10 machine and am in the processing of scanning all my media in. I was able to get everything working perfectly on my old server, but I may have potentially forgotten how I troubleshooted in the past. I've gone through the suggested "Troubleshooting Internal Connections"(https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity), but still can't get it to work.

My old server and new server (on two separate machines) are both connected directly via Ethernet to the same router (to help with troubleshooting), and I'm trying to access both on my mobile device through Chrome. My old server accesses just fine, but my new one doesn't at all.

A few bits of information that I noticed were requested on other similar threads:

• When I setup the new inbound rule within Windows Defender Firewall, I selected TCP port and specified the 8096 and 8920 ports (by typing "8096, 8920" without quotes).
  • There isn't any additional anti-virus software (I believe) running. This is an Alienware desktop.
  • When I ran ipconfig I get the following (anything with [HIDDEN] is where I redacted the information):
    • Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : attlocal.net
         IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : [HIDDEN]
         IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : [HIDDEN]
         Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : [HIDDEN]
         Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : [HIDDEN]
         IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.134
         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
         Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : [HIDDEN]

I am running Version 4.7.2.0 and the LAN access URL is: http://192.168.1.134:8096/

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Happy2Play

Could this be a Private vs Public network type and firewall rules?

qazwsx16
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Could this be a Private vs Public network type and firewall rules?

Any suggestions on what I should test or if I should be looking somewhere specifically? I was going to wait until my library finished scanning before I restarted the Emby server and the computer altogether (which I'm is later tonight or early tomorrow morning latest), so hoping it is an easy fix.

I did also find this post from earlier this year from you that I think I might try:

Or do you think it isn't relevant anymore?

• Solution
Happy2Play

I would first check your network type then firewall profile as sometimes there is/can be a Private vs Public issue.

image.png.237bc1bc4d8fc7d627bde0a7c62a2fb9.png

I would also go through all of the rules in windows firewall and if you see any that are set to block Emby Server, delete those.

qazwsx16
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I would first check your network type then firewall profile as sometimes there is/can be a Private vs Public issue.

11 hours ago, Luke said:

I would also go through all of the rules in windows firewall and if you see any that are set to block Emby Server, delete those.

Geniuses! It was very counter-intuitive for me and I thought private internet profiles were more secure, so I thought my internet was "private", but by default it was in fact "public", so once I deleted the firewall rule for the "Public" profiles, it works now!

Thank you both!

rbjtech

The correct solution is as per your original view - LAN should always be private ;)

You need to make your LAN private (and not public) - and then the emby private rule would have worked.  By using a public LAN profile - you are putting your PC at unnecessary risk.

Ensure all the other hosts on the network are private as well - you'll probably find your old emby host was.

https://www.lifewire.com/change-networks-to-private-on-windows-10-5185933

pwhodges
34 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

By using a public LAN profile - you are putting your PC at unnecessary risk.

Actually, the "public" profile is more locked down than the "private" one - it makes it harder to connect between machines and devices within the local network, so that on public "local" networks such as airport lounges it keeps your machine more isolated.

Paul

• Agree 1