Stutter during remote playback

Crush420

Crush420

I recently went on vacation and trying to use all my devices via remote Emby connect, and all 1080 content lags or stutters about every minute or two.  480 content works fine.  Everything works fine at home locally.  I have a 1gig up and down fiber connection at home.  All files are AVC h264 MKV and set to direct play.  I have transcoding disabled on my server.  I have tried multiple ios devices - 2 iPads and an iPod.  I tried my Surface w/ windows10 web app and Emby theater.  Everything does the same laggy/stuttering playback on HD.

We had an internet tech out today at the house I am staying at & he was getting a steady 80M down via wifi.

What is the best place to start to troubleshoot this?  

Any help would be great.  I can't live without my Emby server  :(

Crush420

Edit:  I am usually using a wired connection at home via Andriod TV or Apple TV.  They work flawlessly. 

Crush420

I believe I found a work-around.  It's definitely a buffering problem.  When the player is forced to direct play, it's buffer will not fill up.  It stays just barely ahead of what is playing.  

If I enable transcoding on the server and set the player's home network quality to anything but auto (its on 4K 120mb), then the buffer fills up and everything is fine.

Says its transcoding MKV to HLS.

is this just because of file type is MKV and not MP4?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yes, thanks for the update. I think the bitrate is just too high for the mobile connection.