Newb help with file names and the way they display in Emby

musicmafia

musicmafia

Hi Everybody!

Loving Emby and trying to learn the ins and outs. I have multiple versions of some movies. For example I have 3 files of Sexy Beast. One is a direct h264, one is h265 mp4 and one is a MKV file. In the source drive/folder, this is indicated in the file names. In Emby, they all display the same as "Sexy Beast 2000" (as seen below). 

Is there any way I can add to the file names or differentiate them somehow, so I can identify which version I am seeing without having to open each one separately to find out which is which?

Hopefully that made sense. Thanks

emby.JPG

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, musicmafia said:

Is there any way I can add to the file names or differentiate them somehow, so I can identify which version I am seeing without having to open each one separately to find out which is which?

Only by Editing Metadata in the UI as metadata Title is presented.

The question is do you want to see multiple items or one item with a drop-down to select version?

As there is three ways to multi-version in Emby

Manually multi-select and group version

Automatic via stucture and naming scheme Multi-version movies

Or community plugin that will group by providerid no matter location. automatic-version-grouping-for-movies

• Like 2

musicmafia

Thanks Happy! Unfortunately I'm not very tech savvy. I read those links but didn't understand a lot of it, especially the last option with the automatic grouping.

I tried using the "dash" method described in the multi-version link, but it didn't seem to work.

I figured out how to edit the metadata in the UI, but I'm not sure which section(s) to edit. Based on my screen shot below, is this the right section and which lines should I edit?

Thanks again!

emby2.JPG

seanbuff

The likely reason the multi-version didn't work is because each file version needs to follow the parent folder name, appended by the "- version info"

So in your case:

Sexy Beast (2000) all versions\
                               Sexy Beast (2000) all versions - HD MKV x264.mkv
                               Sexy Beast (2000) all versions - HD HEVC x265.mkv                               
                               Sexy Beast (2000) all versions - HD MP4 x264.mp4                               

...or something similar.

Your screenshot above will only affect the way the movie is displayed in the library, not the version names.

• Like 2

musicmafia
34 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

The likely reason the multi-version didn't work is because each file version needs to follow the parent folder name, appended by the "- version info"

So in your case:

Sexy Beast (2000) all versions\
                               Sexy Beast (2000) all versions - HD MKV x264.mkv
                               Sexy Beast (2000) all versions - HD HEVC x265.mkv                               
                               Sexy Beast (2000) all versions - HD MP4 x264.mp4                               

...or something similar.

Your screenshot above will only affect the way the movie is displayed in the library, not the version names.

Thanks Sean! I followed the naming convention above on all the files in that folder and now I see a dropdown menu that shows the versions! Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

musicmafia

After changing the naming convention, in the "Movies" view, it still shows multiple copies of some movies. Here is an example: I have 3 versions of Thief, but Movies view shows two thumbnails and (after opening) neither displays the dropdown with multiple versions. Any idea what I'm doing wrong on this one?

thief.JPG

Thief2.JPG

Edited by musicmafia

musicmafia

Also, in the library, when I switch to "FOLDERS" view, several items appear at the top with folder icons in the thumbnail, rather than being listed with the rest of the folders alphabetically. 

Why are they segregated? If this indicates a user error, what do I need to fix?

At the top right, my THIEF folder displays a thumbnail from a movie I do not own.

When I open that folder, I see three files, all of which play Thief 1981, but one shows incorrect thumbnail and none of them are displaying the dropdown option for multiple versions.

Any help appreciated!

Thief3.JPG

Thief4.JPG

Happy2Play

Right click the item "Identity Thief" and select edit metadata what path does it show?

But am guessing one got mis-identified.  As for not grouping I am not sure as the filenaming looks correct.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Not sure on why it was mis-identified, but you can manually Identify it, or remove it from folder, do a library scan and readd to see if it is correctly identified and grouped.

But suggest something in folder content is breaking these items.  You could test with only the three media files.

• Like 1

musicmafia

Thanks! Sorry for the stupid questions but:

How do I manually identify? Do I just enter the correct title in the edit section?

Also, what is the easiest way to do an entire library scan? Where is the button for that?

Thanks again.

Happy2Play
38 minutes ago, musicmafia said:

How do I manually identify? Do I just enter the correct title in the edit section?

Right click item and select Identify.

38 minutes ago, musicmafia said:

Also, what is the easiest way to do an entire library scan? Where is the button for that?

Entire library scan via Settings-Library or Scheduled tasks.

• Like 1

musicmafia

Thanks!!! I appreciate all the help. I have a few more newb questions. Rather than start new threads I hope it's okay to ask them here:

Thumbnails all show up great with Movies, but not many are displaying for my TV shows. What is the easiest way to fix this?

The green circles seem to display the number of unwatched episodes? Is there a way to have it always display total number of episodes on this library screen?

Is there an easy way to have it display only the number of actual episodes, not including bonus content?

Thanks again!

image.png

seanbuff

Have you defined separate libraries for 'Movies' and one for 'TV Shows' in your Library setup?

image.png.1c63023901824b53f648092528a284b3.png

Looks like you may have combined them together, if so what is the library type?

EDIT: Ignore, at first glance I thought these were movies mixed with tv shows. Follow Grims instructions. 👍🏽

Edited by seanbuff
incorrect info
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, musicmafia said:

Thumbnails all show up great with Movies, but not many are displaying for my TV shows. What is the easiest way to fix this?

Looking at your screenshot, they likely weren't identified due to series folders naming used; for recommended naming convention check out KB article:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

To solve your issue, rename/restructure your folders accordingly and rescan library. 

8 minutes ago, musicmafia said:

The green circles seem to display the number of unwatched episodes? Is there a way to have it always display total number of episodes on this library screen?

Correct. Nope. 

8 minutes ago, musicmafia said:

Is there an easy way to have it display only the number of actual episodes, not including bonus content?

Nope again. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

musicmafia
22 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Have you defined separate libraries for 'Movies' and one for 'TV Shows' in your Library setup?

image.png.1c63023901824b53f648092528a284b3.png

Looks like you may have combined them together, if so what is the library type?

Yes, one for TV and one for Movies

image.png

musicmafia
41 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Looking at your screenshot, they likely weren't identified due to series folders naming used; for recommended naming convention check out KB article:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

To solve your issue, rename/restructure your folders accordingly and rescan library. 

Correct. Nope. 

Nope again. 

Renaming the folders is helping. I presume this green circle with 91% is status of my rescan? 

image.png

GrimReaper
Just now, musicmafia said:

Renaming the folders is helping. I presume this green circle with 91% is status of my rescan? 

image.png

Correct. If it appears stuck at any point - just let it finish, it's not linear. 

musicmafia
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

Correct. If it appears stuck at any point - just let it finish, it's not linear. 

Thanks! You read my mind! ;)

• Like 1