"Back" button bug when paused

deej0

deej0

When the video is paused, the "Back" button used to take you out of what you are watching.  With the latest Roku app version (4.0.55 I believe), the "Back" button just unpauses the video causing it to play again.  Since the "Play/Pause" button is specifically for playing and (un)pausing the video, I'm assuming the new behaviour with the "Back" button is a bug?  Would it be possible to change the "Back" button back to the previous behaviour of exiting the video when it is pressed while the video is paused?

Thank you!  🙂

Edited by deej0

Gilgamesh_48

At times I feel that the "old" behavior is correct and at other time I find the "new" behavior to be correct. That is I find both behaviors to be what I would like and expect at different times.
I do not see any advantage to either behavior. They are both equally good and/or bad.

While in many cases I like toggles and user choices but I also see that too many choices or toggles can get complex real quickly.

In this case I think that the "new behavior" should remain simply because it is easier and it works well.

As I think about it the new behavior is slightly better because if your intent is to exit the playback all you need to do is press back a second time and since your finger/thumb is already on the back button it requires only minimal flexing of the finger/thumb. You don't even have to relocate your appendage.

I do see advantages to both behaviors but the functional differences are small and I think that, in this case, the new behavior should be maintained and, again in this case, a toggle should not be provided because the old behavior can be mimicked by just an extra twitch of the finger.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Hi.  It isn't really a "bug" but the way we handle pausing will change in the next release so that, I think, it will do what you expect.

Thanks.

• Like 1

deej0
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

the way we handle pausing will change in the next release so that, I think, it will do what you expect.

Thank you!  🙂

deej0
55 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

At times I feel that the "old" behavior is correct and at other time I find the "new" behavior to be correct.

I guess the way I am looking at it is that the play/pause button already provides the resume playback function, so I see no advantage at all to having the back button provide the same functionality in this case. 

According to ebr, it sounds like we are going to revert back to the old behaviour so we will again have both functions - resume playback by using the play/pause button, and exit the video by using the back button. 

Gilgamesh_48
45 minutes ago, deej0 said:

According to ebr, it sounds like we are going to revert back to the old behaviour so we will again have both functions - resume playback by using the play/pause button, and exit the video by using the back button. 

I thought that @ebrmight be addressing my post but it was ambiguous enough that I see it could be addressing you as well .

Either way I hope that Emby retains the current behavior but I am not married to either way the back behaves so either meaning would be fine with me.

To be honest I have, on further reflection, decided that I do NOT really want the back button to do anything to a paused program. I have, in the past, found it irritating that I could be watching a paused program and press "back" without intending to, and found myself having to restart the video. But that goes for any key that can be pressed by accident.

But I want to be clear that my preference is not very strong. I can easily live with either behavior going forward.
One thing that irritates me is change. I rarely use the back button from inside a paused program so I really did not notice that change. But now that my attention has been brought to it I can guarantee that I will not much like the change back, if it happens.

I do wonder if anyone else has even noticed the change. ;)

pwhodges

I often pause at the start of credits and then press back to stop watching at all, and finding that playback resumes as a result feels unnatural to me.

Paul

• Agree 2

Just now, Luke said:

Are you still running into this?

Nothing has changed in the app for this outside of beta.

Yes, I am still having this issue.  The behaviour changed with the 4.0.55 release of the app.  Prior to that release, the back button took you out of the video when paused.  Now the back button unpauses the video instead of quitting the video.

11 minutes ago, deej0 said:

Yes, I am still having this issue.  The behaviour changed with the 4.0.55 release of the app.  Prior to that release, the back button took you out of the video when paused.  Now the back button unpauses the video instead of quitting the video.

If you would like to install the beta of the app, please let me know.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I'd be happy to test the beta version!  I would need some instructions on how to load it, and will do my best to offer constructive feedback.  Thank you!