Movie naming convention - Pixar Short Films Collection

cwills75
Go to solution Solved by MBSki,

cwills75

What is the proper way to name something like Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007).  The files consist of 13 individual shorts like in the screenshot.  I'd like them all to be under a single movie title, with a pull-down with the episode to select, but everything I'm trying isn't working.  I have read this also:

Emby Movie Naming : Emby

pixar.png

pwhodges

What are you getting?  I would expect those names to do what you want, though sadly the order of the drop-down list will be unpredictable.  However, for it to work the folder containing those files must have exactly the same name as what precedes the hyphen in the files - nearly the same won't do.

Paul

cwills75

If I add them just like that, it shows 13 separate movies in Emby. (they are all in a single folder).

Edited by cwills75

pwhodges

Are those files in a folder of their own, underneath the movie library folder?

If you place all movie files in the library folder without subfolders, as some people do, various feature of Emby are unavailable - this one included.

Paul

cwills75

They are in Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/13 different files.  I've also tried doing it like some multi-version movies like Zach Snyder's Justice League.  I have the main color movie named normally, with the - Justice is Gray as in the screenshot.  When I do this same thing for the Pixar stuff, renaming them like this:

Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007).mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - For the Birds.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) -  Geri's Game.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Jack-Jack Attack.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Knick Knack - Remastered.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Lifted.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Luxo Jr.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Master and the Ghostlight.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Mike's New Car.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - One Man Band.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Red's Dream.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - The Adventures of Andre and Wally B.mkv
Movies/Movies/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007)/Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 (2007) - Tin Toy.mkv

They show up as separate movies in Emby, not under one movie with a pull-down.

justice.png

justice1.png

• Solution
MBSki

As an alternative you could set it up as a tv show. That's how I've got the Pixar shorts collection in my library. To do this I labeled them with year and episode number (2nd image). And luckily this one is still available in TheTVDB (Pixar Short Films - TheTVDB.com).

image.png.090232c1f52783087e819ae8b6920870.png

image.png.2476a7ecbdecc36c220e0c8a9179a1c1.png

• Like 1

cwills75
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

As an alternative you could set it up as a tv show. That's how I've got the Pixar shorts collection in my library. To do this I labeled them with year and episode number (2nd image). And luckily this one is still available in TheTVDB (Pixar Short Films - TheTVDB.com).

Maybe I'll just do that, I'll have to either split or re-acquire volume 2 since that one is one giant file.  If I could just combine the 13 .mkvs into one file easily I'd do that, but every program I've tried failed so far.

• Like 1

pwhodges

Having a file with the exact name with no hyphen may be what's breaking it (that wasn't in your earlier image).  You could try renaming that with "- complete set" or something similar at the end.

Paul

cwills75
18 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Having a file with the exact name with no hyphen may be what's breaking it (that wasn't in your earlier image).  You could try renaming that with "- complete set" or something similar at the end.

Paul

Essentially, that is what I initially did.  Instead of having - complete set on the end of the first file, I had - Boundin' like in the first screenshot.  That didn't work either.  I changed it to - Complete Set for testing, and it seems to be a bug in Emby?  In the screenshot here, I have eight files in the folder, and it shows a pull-down.  If I add one more file and scan, it breaks all of them into separate movies.  If I then delete one file, they are back in one movie with a pulldown.  Maybe @ebr or @Luke or another dev can take a look at this to see if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a limitation of Emby.

pixar2.png

rodainas

You are confusing multi-version with collection.

a

As you are using the same name before hyphen for all the shorts emby group it as same movie.

If you are setting it on a movie library you need to use each individual short name (no common name), then you can add it as a collection.

The other method is adding it as a tvshow and using something like thetvdb episode ordering for the shorts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, cwills75 said:

have eight files in the folder, and it shows a pull-down.  If I add one more file and scan, it breaks all of them into separate movies.  If I then delete one file, they are back in one movie with a pulldown.

There are a couple topics on this but is by design, there is an automatic versioning limit of 8.

But can still group manually via multi-select as many as you like.

cwills75
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

There are a couple topics on this but is by design, there is an automatic versioning limit of 8.

Reading through that thread, it looks like it might get added in the future, but at this point I'm just re-doing the entire thing as a TV series.  If there isn't plans to fix the hard 8 limit soon, future Emby users would benefit with that limitation being specified on:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, cwills75 said:

Reading through that thread, it looks like it might get added in the future, but at this point I'm just re-doing the entire thing as a TV series.  If there isn't plans to fix the hard 8 limit soon, future Emby users would benefit with that limitation being specified on:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

True it may help but not a big priority as who needs more then 8 versions of one item?

In you case grouping like this kill 8 totally different items when grouped as watching one looses site of all the others.

So this is a Series or a collection of Movies.

cwills75
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

True it may help but not a big priority as who needs more then 8 versions of one item?

In you case grouping like this kill 8 totally different items when grouped as watching one looses site of all the others.

So this is a Series or a collection of Movies.

I initially tried adding it as a movie as my source was a movie, and it exists as a movie on TMDB (screenshot).  Being unable to find a good way for Emby to display them led me here, and then I eventually figured out the program limitation of 8 versions.  Had there not been a limitation, that would have solved it, but in the end, @mbarylski had the best solution of treating it like a series.  The series also has episodes not included on the three movie versions also.

And I agree with you that I'm sure it's not a priority for the devs, but literally the first place I went was Emby's movie naming link when I was having issues and had I seen that there was a program limitation of 8, it would have saved me hours of time.  The second place I came was here and searched for "Pixar short films" and some other keywords to see if this has came up before, but as I didn't know about the 8 limitation at that time.

Screenshot_3.png

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, cwills75 said:

I initially tried adding it as a movie as my source was a movie, and it exists as a movie on TMDB (screenshot).  Being unable to find a good way for Emby to display them led me here, and then I eventually figured out the program limitation of 8 versions.  Had there not been a limitation, that would have solved it, but in the end, @mbarylski had the best solution of treating it like a series.  The series also has episodes not included on the three movie versions also.

And I agree with you that I'm sure it's not a priority for the devs, but literally the first place I went was Emby's movie naming link when I was having issues and had I seen that there was a program limitation of 8, it would have saved me hours of time.  The second place I came was here and searched for "Pixar short films" and some other keywords to see if this has came up before, but as I didn't know about the 8 limitation at that time.

Screenshot_3.png

To me those only work as one item not individual items.  As individuals they are not Volume 1-3 unless you plan on joining all of them.

one collection (group into collection) so displayed as one item.

image.thumb.png.5e615c419c8e0100e458cb969f7402a8.png

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Just add as a TV Series (tvdb) and use the absolute order (set in emby metadata) - you'll need to name the files correctly (absolute order naming) and put them in volume sub-folders but then you'll get the three volumes listed as they should be ..   Individual season per film looks horrid imho .. 

https://thetvdb.com/series/pixar-shorts/seasons/absolute/1

'All' is actually Season 1 (empty) - otherwise emby thinks they are all Season 1 and lists ALL the missing items .. 

ie

image.png.96406029ec746d067342c77d745d0ad5.png

image.png.9d0678ef56b1dd15827d7d639ac426e1.png

image.png.b2173275b1bc23ec903b97171235ed31.png

image.png.491657ad29d5fba74c81731dde50aaae.png

image.png.095a311b81241b5891eb58aab62b3f5e.png

image.png.1dd92e0e934748c096abbdb7699dcefc.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1