Two GPUs in my server... What will happen?

chef

chef

I currently just got my hands on an rtx 3060 GPU. Wow!

PXL_20220603_182810718.thumb.jpg.b07a1d8dd009d11e290d63eb80a6492d.jpg

Right now inside my Emby server is a 1660 GPU.

I use it for transcoding in Emby.

What will happen if I put both GPUs in my system? 

What should I expect, and not expect?

Will it be a waste, and perhaps my 1660 Gpu would be better placed in another PC? Like my development computer.

The entire setup is with transcoding, streaming and Emby in mind. 

Edited by chef

lorac

Emby will detect both and generally use the more powerful card as the primary. I'f you go into the advanced settings of transcoding you can specify which card you use. I wouldn't think you'd need to have both in your server though. 

I haven't had an issue with having two cards.

• Thanks 1

chef
1 hour ago, lorac said:

Emby will detect both and generally use the more powerful card as the primary. I'f you go into the advanced settings of transcoding you can specify which card you use. I wouldn't think you'd need to have both in your server though. 

I haven't had an issue with having two cards.

Cool! Thanks for the reply.

I'm about to try this. 👍

But, perhaps I will use the old one elsewhere.

Edited by chef

Junglejim
9 hours ago, chef said:

Cool! Thanks for the reply.

I'm about to try this. 👍

But, perhaps I will use the old one elsewhere.

Yep nice card mate, probably a little overkill for a Emby server but I'm sure it will kick butt transcoding. I'm jealous. :)

You'll probably need to use hacked drivers to get over the 3 simultaneous transcode jobs but I'm sure your aware of that.

I'd also relegate the 1660 to another machine, I think the 3060 is more than capable for your Emby server.

• Like 1

chef
9 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Yep nice card mate, probably a little overkill for a Emby server but I'm sure it will kick butt transcoding. I'm jealous. :)

You'll probably need to use hacked drivers to get over the 3 simultaneous transcode jobs but I'm sure your aware of that.

I'd also relegate the 1660 to another machine, I think the 3060 is more than capable for your Emby server.

Cool.

That is what I have done. I put the 1660 in another machine.

I found this GPU on sale just over 500 Canadian which seemed reasonable, and unexpected. 

PXL_20220604_172122986.thumb.jpg.32a4c0ac90df5ad5afd41041396d631e.jpg

And emby saw the change right away.

Screenshot_20220605-080822.thumb.png.4c7c13bf7b1df31d787ceb6e38a0ca25.png

rbjtech

Hi @chef

Has the 3060 got more memory that the 1660 ?

If yes, then tbh, that is the only real advantage - as from a transcoding perspective, they both will have the same number of NVENC/NVDEC pipelines ...

• Like 1

chef
24 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Hi @chef

Has the 3060 got more memory that the 1660 ?

If yes, then tbh, that is the only real advantage - as from a transcoding perspective, they both will have the same number of NVENC/NVDEC pipelines ...

Oh that's interesting.

The 3060 definitely has more memory.

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, chef said:

Oh that's interesting.

The 3060 definitely has more memory.

so each 4K transcode takes around 1Gb of Vmem - so that largely dictates the number of 4K streams you can transcode. 

As an example - My old 1070 can still keep up with the latest 8Gb 30xx Gen cards as it also has 8Gb of Vmem. (so ~7-8 max 4k transcodes).

• Thanks 1

Junglejim
On 05/06/2022 at 21:39, chef said:

I found this GPU on sale just over 500 Canadian which seemed reasonable, and unexpected.

Wow, bargain mate! I wish I could find that card like that in AU for that price. With the current conversion rate that's like just over $550 AU, that's awesome mate. 👍🤑

Here at the mo for the Ventus 3X 12G, I'm looking at over $680 AU. The 2X is cheaper with the same Vram, but still nice buy! :)

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 1