EMBY Server on a Mini PC

HUGO1963
Go to solution Solved by pir8radio,

HUGO1963

Hello

Due to physical space limitations, I would like to install Emby Server on a Mini PC such as an intel NUC or Zotac.

What features should the hardware have to support a maximum of up to 40 concurrently connected devices without transcoding?

Regards

Hi, @pir8radio and @Gilgamesh_48 may have some thoughts.

For a server that primarily direct plays, I think you'll want to look at having a fast network setup as well as the disk I/O of the media storage.

• Solution
pir8radio
On 6/3/2022 at 11:49 AM, HUGO1963 said:

Hello

Due to physical space limitations, I would like to install Emby Server on a Mini PC such as an intel NUC or Zotac.

What features should the hardware have to support a maximum of up to 40 concurrently connected devices without transcoding?

Regards

yea 40 without transcode should be more than possible.   just depends on what kind of source video file you are streaming..  if its a typical 6 Mbps hd movie with 40 viewers you would need about 256 Mbps.  If those 40 users were remote, your internet UPLOAD speed would need to be at least 300 ish to stream to them.   If you don't have a gigabit network that's 3 ethernet connections you would need to the NUC.   so you need to make sure network is good, then you have the drive read speed...  it would have to do 300 or so Mbps too.. 

HUGO1963

Thanks

I will explain the application in more detail. 

All movies will be 720p resolution. The files will be MKV or MP4.  Each movie is about 2 GB

The mini pc where the EMBY server will be installed will be connected to one of the LAN ports of a Teltonika RUT955 router and will only give service in a local WIFI network to the 40 users, I will not use internet.

https://teltonika-networks.com/product/rut955/

I hope the idea is clearer

Regards

HUGO1963

Correct, this router supports up to 100 users and 300 Mbps in the WIFI network.

I have tested installing Emby Server on a Western Digital My Cloud EX2  Ultra NAS and I was able to connect 15 users without any problem through the router's WIFI network.

I want to test the performance of the router and the mini PC in the worst case scenario (40 devices), but I am not sure what minimum specs the Mini PC should have.

What do you think?

Regards

pir8radio
12 hours ago, HUGO1963 said:

Correct, this router supports up to 100 users and 300 Mbps in the WIFI network.

I have tested installing Emby Server on a Western Digital My Cloud EX2  Ultra NAS and I was able to connect 15 users without any problem through the router's WIFI network.

I want to test the performance of the router and the mini PC in the worst case scenario (40 devices), but I am not sure what minimum specs the Mini PC should have.

What do you think?

Regards

what is the encoded BITRATE of one of the videos?  that is what you will use to calculate.    but 300mbps is not a lot.  40 users streaming will most likely NOT work.  you would need multiple access points with the users split up between them.     wifi routers can "SAY" they support 300 users, but that doesn't mean they can all talk at the same time.   WIFI is not full duplex, wifi works like a walkie talkie if you have 1 BOSS with a walkie talkie and 100 people with walkie-talkies no two people can key up and talk on the channel at the same time. only one person can talk at a time, and only one radio can listen at a time.   same for wifi.  just happens very fast.    so you can support 300 users if only a few of them are downloading before it starts to impact all users as that traffic gets put in a line (buffer) and waits for its turn to send.     But all users trying to stream video, you will probably hit a wall at a relatively low number.  

Jonathan1683

That's what i was thinking I only use wifi to send files to emby and it really struggles with extended throughput. Sometimes the signal drops to almost nothing and the files completely stop with just me on it. Also the signal and bandwidth degrades in spaces with a lot of people using wifi as well. I am sure there will be others using the same channels in your area. Wifi6e is out and 7 is around the corner, I am hoping that will help because wifi kind of sucks right now for high bandwidth users.

HUGO1963

Thank you for your answers.

Something I forgot to tell you is that the system (router and minipc) will operate in places where there are no other WIFI networks, for example: on passenger buses, tourist yachts, rural communities, etc.

In the case of transportation systems, the idea is to have an entertainment center for the passengers (mobile devices) during trips of several hours, since the service of the cellular operators is very intermittent.

In the communities of few inhabitants, I will use a server and a more robust access points.

This router allows me to limit the bitrate of each user of the WIFi network.

With the tool to monitor the real time traffic of the equipment, each one uses 3 mbps on average. 

Regards

RanmaCanada

I would say instead of a mini pc, just use a laptop as that way you have the screen et al available.  A 12th gen should have no issues handling 40 connections with enough ram.