DVBViewer integration

Armpowered

Armpowered

Hi,

I've recently started to use Emby on an LG C2 TV to give a neat interface to my DVBviewer server that I've had for years. I liked the way it triggered a recording within DVBViewer, which then handled the actual recording. I understand the reason for the recent change to having Emby stream from the DVBviewer server and handle the recording itself but prefer the old method as it allowed any configuration/post processing in DVBviewer to occur (e.g. I auto generate thumbnails and .nfo files as the built-in generator produced odd aspect ratio images).

(I've now had to add slightly different post processing for Emby recordings.)

Anyway, I assume that the new way is here to stay but it does have what I think is a problem, I just set "Viva Las Vegas" to record and this is the filename it's using "Viva Las Vegas 2022_06_03_13_05_00 - Hip-swivelling high-speed fun as the King rolls into Las Vegas looking to compete in the Grand Prix and spends his spare time trying to win the heart of a swimming instructor. [1964] [S] [HD].ts".

It's using the programme description for the filename and this could upset Windows (opening the .nfo file in Notepad++ shows it with fall-back DOS 8.3 filename!).

The generated .nfo file seems to have the description as the title, wouldn't it make more sense to (file)name the recording by just title and date and have the programme name as title and description as plot in the .nfo (and/or database)?

Or is this some quirk of UK Freeview epg info?

Edited by Armpowered

pünktchen
31 minutes ago, Armpowered said:

Or is this some quirk of UK Freeview epg info?

It is! But as a UK citizen you can use Emby's build in guide data, which is far superior. You only have to map the Emby guide data to the DVBViewer channels.

Armpowered

Thanks, I've mapped channels which has tidied things up, does the plugin pull episode numbers etc. from (over the air) epg that supplies it sensibly? Would it cause problems to exclude the programme description (from DVDViewer) from the filename? I like the simplicity of using over the air epg despite its limitations - does the Emby epg service update promptly when there are changes to the epg (not that it really matters)? I'll see how it goes with the mapped channels.

pünktchen
9 minutes ago, Armpowered said:

does the plugin pull episode numbers etc. from (over the air) epg that supplies it sensibly?

You probably know already that DVBViewer itself doesn't know anything about episode numbers. DVBViewer provides three main items for a single program: Title, Description and Event. The plugin tries to find episode numbers by regex from the Event start or end. Event should be something like an episode name, but in your case (Freeview) it's a complete description. That also explains your strange filenames.

emveepee

I know NextPVR does regex processing while importing OTA. The biggest challenge is the episodic series without a season number.  I don't know if the regex is smart enough to get the movie year from Viva Las Vegas but it is feasible.

Martin

Armpowered
17 hours ago, pünktchen said:

I knew that the UK over the air epg data was inconsistent (especially with series/episode numbers, if present at all) but didn't know that it followed a different general pattern to others. Isn't the use of the whole "event" field, even made filename safe, a bit risky, it certainly looks ugly! Can't files simply be named from the title with start time data added to make unique, any other info that can be parsed then just appearing in the .nfo file/database?

pünktchen
21 minutes ago, Armpowered said:

Can't files simply be named from the title with start time data added to make unique, any other info that can be parsed then just appearing in the .nfo file/database?

Probably, but that is not the plugins decision. The plugin is mapping the DVBViewer "event" to Emby "EpisodeTitle" for the programdata table. What Emby then will do with this information is out of my hand. I could make an option to map the "event" to "Overview" in Emby. But i won't do this yet for some simple reasons:

• You are the first one with this problem
  • As a UK user you can get perfect guide data from Emby for free (in contrast to the other Europeans)

Armpowered

OK, thanks for the response, I'm just a little wary of using a third party epg. Could there be (if more demand) an option to select the mapping in the plugin's settings - the old version had a few configurations but the latest has very little (apologies if I'm assuming it's simpler than it might be!).

Actually, whilst on that subject of options, the old version had the ability to select which set of channels to import, the new version has no option for this, is it just choosing the "TV" channel group (root?) or the first group it gets from the server?

pünktchen
1 minute ago, Armpowered said:

Actually, whilst on that subject of options, the old version had the ability to select which set of channels to import, the new version has no option for this

Yeah, that option will come back again.

• 2 months later...