Another Metadata Question...

scb99
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

scb99

Hi, I have a question regarding the Title Tower of the First Born, it's got 2 episodes

Its IMDB id is tt14404784

Its TB DB id is 86892

I have my series metadata in order OMDB, TVDB, the Movie DB

When I try to identify in Emby with either the IMDB id or the TVDB id, I get nothing

If I go to OMDB and try the IMDB id directly I get 

{"Response":"False","Error":"Error getting data."}

So I guess my question is,

(1) what does this "Error getting data" mean? I guess that's causing my problem?

(2) how to handle this situation? I tried temporarily moving TVDB to number 1, but that didn't fix it.

Thanks for any help! Steve

rodainas
1 minute ago, scb99 said:

Hi, I have a question regarding the Title Tower of the First Born, it's got 2 episodes

Its TB DB id is 86892

I have my series metadata in order OMDB, TVDB, the Movie DB

When I try to identify in Emby with either the IMDB id or the TVDB id, I get nothing

If I go to OMDB and try the IMDB id directly I get 

{"Response":"False","Error":"Error getting data."}

So I guess my question is,

(1) what does this "Error getting data" mean? I guess that's causing my problem?

(2) how to handle this situation? I tried temporarily moving TVDB to number 1, but that didn't fix it.

Thanks for any help! Steve

AFAIK omdb only works for movies.

scb99

That can't be my issue though, because if I use other TV series IMDB id's in "Identify" they work fine. Just this one doesn't.

53 minutes ago, scb99 said:

If  you look on thetvdb web site, does it properly show that as its IMDb ID?

scb99

@ebrThat's interesting, it's got a different imdb id tt0211396 which is the italian version of the same program. And yes, it works if I use that id instead. Thanks!

(But why didn't it work when I used the TV DB id directly?)

Edited by scb99

2 hours ago, scb99 said:

(But why didn't it work when I used the TV DB id directly?)

In order for us to answer that, please see: 

Thanks !

scb99

Hi Luke

no

on this library I have fetchers:

Series  metadata in order:

OMDB, TVDB, the Movie DB

season Metadata theMoviedb

episode Metadata in order:

TVDB, OMDB, the Movie DB

i can remember that I came to this setup after quite a bit of trial and error

Then that's the reason for the issue. You plug in the tvdb id, but Omdb can't look up using that so it switches to looking up by name or whatever other criteria you enter that it does support.

scb99

Ok I know I’m going down a rabbit hole now but then

(1) I dont understand why changing the imdb id to the one used by tvdb solved the problem? Or does omdb share by coincidence the same data with tvdb?

(2) I didnt put any other crieria in except the tvdb id, so I would assume that omdb returns failure so Emby would then drop down to the next provider which is tvdb?

Edited by scb99

visproduction
On 6/3/2022 at 1:20 PM, scb99 said:

so Emby would then drop down to the next provider

scb99, I think you are justifying in your mind, as if you are connecting water pipes or plugging in electric cords.  Code does not handle every possible situation very easily. 

If you made a list of all the possible errors using 3 dbase lookups in different priorities, you try to to write code that handles most situations.  Omdb also has code that handles errors and perhaps their error handling for an unknown number moves to request imeediately to the title.  So, to avoid that, you would have to write code that check if Omdb fails on a number code lookup, to immediately cancel and try the next dbase. That would mean two data submissions.  That is not ideal.

scb99

Dear @visproduction I don‘t really know what you are trying to say…

I‘m not trying to justify anything… I don‘t think… Just trying to clearly understand the rules.

So what is the purpose of having a 1-2-3 for series metadata if 2 and 3 are not used (which of course involves a second query)?

On 6/3/2022 at 4:20 PM, scb99 said:

Ok I know I’m going down a rabbit hole now but then

(1) I dont understand why changing the imdb id to the one used by tvdb solved the problem? Or does omdb share by coincidence the same data with tvdb?

Probably because Omdb has this imdb id as well.

• Solution
On 6/3/2022 at 4:20 PM, scb99 said:

(2) I didnt put any other crieria in except the tvdb id, so I would assume that omdb returns failure so Emby would then drop down to the next provider which is tvdb?

Right now only the first provider is used for the Identify feature, in order to have the result be consistent with what you would get from a metadata refresh.

Happy2Play
On 6/3/2022 at 4:59 AM, scb99 said:

Well there are issues here as Mini Series and TV Movie sometimes conflict.  Your 2 episode version technically does not exist as TV on TVDB or TMDB as they have it as a Movie.

Happy2Play

Follow up:

On 6/3/2022 at 6:11 AM, scb99 said:

But why didn't it work when I used the TV DB id directly?

First question would be what the library content type as the query is specific to type and this example would vary as mentioned above.

/series/86892 (doesn't exist as TV)

/movie/86892

scb99

My library type is mixed

if I query on an id, does it restrict that id to what it thinks is the „right“ type (Movie, Tv) then? 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, scb99 said:

My library type is mixed

if I query on an id, does it restrict that id to what it thinks is the „right“ type (Movie, Tv) then? 

Have never looks but am guessing auto detection will limit to one or the other.  Logs show the provider queries.

scb99
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Have never looks but am guessing auto detection will limit to one or the other.  Logs show the provider queries.

Hi @Happy2Play OK actually from my side I'm happy to leave it there tbh. Luke answered my main question which is why it doesn't drop through to the next content provider - I get this point (though I'm not 100% convinced it's the right approach - but it would need more thought...)

The original weirdness was caused by there being 2 different IMDB id's for the same program, that's something to bear in mind for the future.

Thanks for everyone's help on such a small problem! But, it's always good to learn.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, scb99 said:

My library type is mixed

Based on the current detected type based on the library, yes.

• Like 1