Why Emby Wins to Me

dannymichel

dannymichel

I will not go into detail about the other media servers as I did in a previous post, and please do let me know if I go to far in this post.

I went into some detail about what it is other media servers lack and/or need to improve in a previous post, and by no means is emby flawless. In fact, not being able to randomly sort my library and the default subtitles were two reasons I deleted emby several times. Emby has no usable desktop client, but is usable via web.

However, and with that said, I choose emby simply because it is the only media server that has passable clients for all three; web, mobile, and firestick. plex' firestick app is unusable since it's so slow, their desktop app is the same, their mobile app is a pain to browse/use, and they have no option to view your library in thumbnail mode rather than poster. jellyfin is alpha software at best. their desktop and mobile apps are completely unusable. Their firestick app is somewhat usable but lacks features in most ways. Their web app is only semi-passable and still buggy.

Edited by dannymichel

dannymichel
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback.

No worries

thanks for the great work

• Thanks 1

utiac

Hi @dannymichel:

I use Arch Linux on my personal desktop and the Emby Theatre client works perfectly. As does the Windows desktop client. Neither is as easy to use for administrative work than the web interface, but it's simply incorrect to say there is no useable desktop client. However you are correct that Emby still has issues and as a recent Premiere subscriber, I hope to be able to explore some of those via meaningful discussion.

dannymichel
4 hours ago, utiac said:

Hi @dannymichel:

I use Arch Linux on my personal desktop and the Emby Theatre client works perfectly. As does the Windows desktop client. Neither is as easy to use for administrative work than the web interface, but it's simply incorrect to say there is no useable desktop client. However you are correct that Emby still has issues and as a recent Premiere subscriber, I hope to be able to explore some of those via meaningful discussion.

It’s unusable on Mac. Would you like a video?