LG WebOS connection issues

Kennyw888

SamES
On 04/06/2022 at 19:48, SamES said:

The other thing you can try is to uninstall the app from the TV, this will force it to clear the apps cache, remove power from the TV for a minute, then reinstall the app.

Did you try this?

Kennyw888

Not yet.  I'm trying understand the "why."   I don't know how it would not work, then work OK after 10 minutes or so.  It doesn' t make any sense to me (remember that it's not a wifi issue since the LG Web app works just fine).  I want to see if the next update corrrects the issue.  When are you planning an update to the LG app?  I do see that the server updated on the 5th.  If that doesn't heal the issue and I've given up, I will do that.  

I've taken a few steps to see if the server even sees a connection request from the TV when it fails.

SamES
4 minutes ago, Kennyw888 said:

Not yet.  I'm trying understand the "why."   I don't know how it would not work, then work OK after 10 minutes or so.  It doesn' t make any sense to me (remember that it's not a wifi issue since the LG Web app works just fine).  I want to see if the next update corrrects the issue.  When are you planning an update to the LG app?  I do see that the server updated on the 5th.  If that doesn't heal the issue and I've given up, I will do that.  

I've taken a few steps to see if the server even sees a connection request from the TV when it fails.

There isn't anything specific in the next release to address this issue, and so far you are the only one reporting it.  I would not be waiting on that to resolve this issue.

Regarding the 'why', the local connections are cached in the app data on the TV.  it is possible that this is corrupt, or there are multiple matching entries but only some are valid.  By fully uninstalling the app, you will start with a clean local data cache on the TV, and even if it doesn't fix it, it is one more thing we can rule out as been a cause.

Kennyw888

Ok, so here is a bit of timeline that may or may not be helpful to you:

Since moving here in October and getting that TV 10 months ago, I used Plex because Emby wasn't available yet on LG

At some point, I switched the TV to the 2.4Ghz band (still using Plex) because I did notice a few stops from time to time due to 5G low signal strength issues.  No network or IP change.

From this point forward, wifi band and the IP of the TV never change (static assignment on the router)

I've had Emby installed on the TV since it's fist release.  There seemed to be some strange GUI issues, so I didn't use it, but also didn't uninstall it.

Saw a notice (at some point in the past) that Emby was updated, tried it, everything working great, so I switched over to Emby (I just like it better).

Everything working fine for a few weeks, built an SFF media PC just for Emby and assigned that PC a static IP (wired connection)

Purchased Emby (and this is where I think the trouble started)

Purchased userID is Kennyw888, but the userID I was using for the free version was something else.  I remember having a bit of issue switching this on the TV, but I don't recall exactly what that was.

Regardless, once that was done I didn't have any problems for at least the first week.  Perhaps once a week, It would not connect.  Since I did nothing more than restart the Emby server app on the SFF pc, I thought I was having some issues there - but now I believe it was simply the time it took me to actually do that since it's a dead-head PC that I have to VNC into.

Issue became progressively worse until finally it fails 95% of the time and I post here.

I guess my question is - do you think that there could be some issue as to which user account the LG app is trying to use, thus creating some strange problem?  Each time it refuses to connect, the server name and IP address are correct on the screen that follows the failure.  I don't, however, see a username.

When I do delete the APP, I'm going to wipe the server as well and reinstall everything from scratch.  If I do see something in glasswire or the windows log, I'll let you know as I do want emby to succeed (just please change the subtitle selector to allow me to choose the file I want to choose).

SamES

Thanks for the info.  Before you wipe the server, it is better to try one thing at a time.  Please try deleting the app from the TV, and installing again after cycling the power on the TV.  This is a quick task, you will not lose anything.  It may not fix it, but there is nothing to lose by trying.

rbjtech

Do you need to use DLNA on the Emby Server ?

if not - then Turn it off !

LG TV's have a nasty habit of FLOODING the network with DLNA traffic - this may be simply swamping your wifi connection and killing the http session.

2022-06-05 03:09:46.288 Info Dlna: DLNA Session created for [LG] webOS TV NANO86VPA - LG TV. Description url: http://10.0.0.6:1448/

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !

• 1 month later...
Kennyw888
On 27/12/2022 at 06:24, Luke said:

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !

Sorry for the late reply.  I've been out of the country.  It's updated and I haven't seen these connection issues since.  Still at a loss understanding why it happened as there was never anything in Emby's or the Windows log to explain it.  Someone suggested that DLNA was causing an issue by flooding the wifi (unlikely as any other APP on the TV worked just fine).

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
caisarus

And now with the latest app the issue is here yet again consistent on 4 lg tvs for me to each different years of manufacturing. 

Will this be resolved in a future update? 

Kennyw888
4 hours ago, caisarus said:

And now with the latest app the issue is here yet again consistent on 4 lg tvs for me to each different years of manufacturing. 

I never figured out the why.  When I had those issues, Emby was running on a SFF Ryzen 5700G with internal and external HDDs sitting on top of cabinets next to my router, switches and NAS in the garage.  I could connect to the 5700G from another PC or iPad or from the browser on the LG TV.  Even though I dislike Plex, I installed it as a backup for when Emby would not connect. 

At some point, one of the HDDs died in the 5700G and I just switched Emby over to my office PC until I could take care of that.  At no time did I have connection issues from the LG to Emby when it was running on my office PC.  When I got the mini back up, the connection issues came back.  It was as if the 5700G just didn't like LG and I never saw anything to explain why it was happening.  I ended up building a second NAS based on TrueNAS Core with Emby running as an app, sold the cursed SFF machine and I have not had a connection issue since

9 hours ago, caisarus said:

@caisarusHi, can you please describe the issue that you're having? thanks.