After update videos are suddenly sorted into seasons

tophee

tophee

I have a library with a folder containing various downloaded video clips. This folder (and the corresponding library) has been there for years and all was fine. But after I recently updated to the latest version (4.7.1.0) this library suddenly doesn't show a long list of individual videos anymore but sorts them into seasons. The library type is (and has always been) Mixed.

I read on the forum that Emby interprets files containing numbers as episodes in seasons (and many, but not all of my clips do have numbers). So, even though Emby has so far not cared about those numbers (and still doesn't care about them in my other folders) I created a new library of type "Home videos" but it rendered exactly the same as the original one. I deleted both libraries, and created a new one but no change. Emby insists on the seasons and I have no idea where that comes from and what do do about it.

Any hints?

tophee

I'll do my best to provide any information you need to resolve this, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "specific example". Example of what? What information do you need? 

I'll try with some screenshots.

So here is the folder "online-videos" which contains many folders with videos, one of them (the problematic one) is called Amina (and also contains various video files).

image.png.8e3a3d7108efac29ccc2e0ff4511ba72.png

The online videos folder is mapped onto a library:

image.png.a3cbbe6084c24675d769ae0391ea1991.png

When I look at that library from the front end, it looks like this:

image.thumb.png.9e1845f292217e4222f9794e744cb2f0.png

All the blurred out folders are rendered correctly as folders containing videos. And so was the folder "Amina" until the most recent update (or whatever else may have cause the change). But now that folder is rendered as a TV Show, if I understand the terminology correctly. It doesn't say TV-show anywhere but when I open that folder, it doesn't give me a list of videos but this:

image.thumb.png.8eddc27d8e8f1bf375144af0d8413e86.png

Do you see the problem?

Hi.  You should not use Mixed Content for a library of just random videos. You should use "Home Videos and Photos".  The fact this worked previously was a bit of an accident.

Mixed content is intended for single libraries containing Movies, TV and, possibly, Music.  When looking for movies and TV it would be next to impossible to distinguish just straight random videos.

tophee

Thanks @ebr, I have already tried switching the library to "Home Videos and Photos" but that did not change anything, i.e. even in that new library, the videos were sorted into seasons.

Also, even if this had worked, the emby behaviour would be rather inconsistent because 

• the library has been set to "mixed content" for years without emby creating any seasons.
  • there are many sub-folders in that folder, and the content of these subfolders looks basically the same, but only one of them is detected as a TV show with seasons...

3 minutes ago, tophee said:

even in that new library, the videos were sorted into seasons

Can you please show us that?  I don't know how a TV show would ever exist in a Home Videos library.  How did you change the content type?

3 minutes ago, tophee said:

he library has been set to "mixed content" for years without emby creating any seasons.

Like I said before, this was just a very lucky accident.  Mixed Content has never been intended for single videos.  I suspect the previous versions thought they were all movies.

4 minutes ago, tophee said:

there are many sub-folders in that folder, and the content of these subfolders looks basically the same, but only one of them is detected as a TV show with seasons..

Something about the naming or structure of that one is causing it to detect it as a series.

tophee
On 03/06/2022 at 16:29, ebr said:

Can you please show us that?  I don't know how a TV show would ever exist in a Home Videos library.  How did you change the content type?

From what I understood, it is not possible to actually change the content type, so I created a new library. Here you go:

661494948_MicrosoftEdge-2022-06-04at20_47.23@2x.png.f980b77a97a5b189b80290ef8e648462.png

And then:

image.thumb.png.08a2d0c0ea678136ce6cd44967004096.png

I guess the easiest way of showing that it is a Show is by selecting Shows instead of folders:

image.thumb.png.95e3484a9dd85de2abb28f0980bab4f2.png

What do I do to fix this?

31 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you also make sure to remove the previous library?

Ah, yeah, that's got to be it.  Two libraries pointing to the same place.

tophee
16 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you also make sure to remove the previous library?

No, but I did now, and indeed, now it works! Thank you for that! 😀

However, now I have another big problem: All of my videos are suddenly marked as unplayed. I had this problem before, and the advice back then was to use nfo-files to persist play state and other metadata past any apocalypse, but it seems that didn't help. Or am I missing something? 🤔

Oh, and one more question: the library now opens on the "videos" tab by default and it doesn't seem to remember the last display state. Is there any way of having libraries open in folder mode by default? It worked fine when the content was mixed...

Edited by tophee

21 minutes ago, tophee said:

Is there any way of having libraries open in folder mode by default?

You set your default landing tab in user home screen settings.

tophee
48 minutes ago, ebr said:

You set your default landing tab in user home screen settings.

OK, great. Didn't expect it there.

So is there any way of persisting play state?

And is there a way of bulk setting play state. The metadata manager doesn't seem to do that...

tophee

I'm not sure what caused the reset of the play state, but if the change of content type is the reason, then yes. My understanding was that using nfo sidecars makes the videos less dependent on the database...

Playstate is an exception. We currently don't put that in nfo files.

tophee
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Playstate is an exception. We currently don't put that in nfo files.

But it's right there in every nfo-file:

Screenshot_2022-06-06-13-23-16-87_754cf9a4094c34a8eeb04648e2e3eb8d.jpg.3850eca421f48e3bc4c56bcee91fb35d.jpg

Also the playcount is there and has been reset (it should be at least 1)...

Hi.  We have (had?) an option to write it for the benefit of other programs but Emby is multi-user and there is only one NFO file for an item so that information is not read by us.

tophee

I see. So I guess the only way of avoiding this kind of data loss is to backup all nfo files and restore them when needed, right?

8 hours ago, tophee said:

I see. So I guess the only way of avoiding this kind of data loss is to backup all nfo files and restore them when needed, right?

To solve what exactly?

11 hours ago, tophee said:

Emby does not read play state from NFO files.  What user would it apply to?

Happy2Play

For items with no providerid there is no good way to maintain userdata for these items that would survive relocating media or a rebuild.

Only idea I have would be a customid recorded in the nfo so it could be maintained instead of something only existing the database so that customid would be reused by the item and could be tracked via userdata.

tophee
13 hours ago, tophee said:

I guess the only way of avoiding this kind of data loss is to backup all nfo files and restore them when needed, right?

Oh, I'm not sure where my brain went wrong, but I now realize that backing up the nfo files doesn't help either, since the play state is not being read. And I also understand that the reason for this is that emby can be used by multiple users so that the play state would have to be saved for each user, which, obviously, isn't currently happening. 

So, at this point, I have no more ideas for how to avoid the problem that I'm currently facing: I have hundreds of video clips in a library that has been used for years, with new clips being added all the time and others being watched and where the play state of all of these clips has need reset so that I no longer can see which clips have been watched and which haven't, making it difficult to find the unwatched ones.