Setup Guide for Raspberry Pi 4 + Emby?

ImagoX

ImagoX

Hi everyone!

Apologies in advance if I missed this Searching the forums. I'm currently using Emby on a Win11 PC, then streaming my media files to various TVs in my house via the Emby app on Roku. This system has been solid for several years, and is easy to maintain - I just store all my media files on a dedicated external SSD. The drawback of this setup is that I always have to have my PC on to play my movie files.

I've been toying with getting a Raspberry Pi 4 minibox and loading Emby onto it so it can be a stand-alone server for the house. I've never used Linux, however, nor have I access Emby via that OS, and have a few quick questions, specifically:

1. Does the Raspberry Pi box have WiFi capabilities, and will it be able to stream to different televisions via the Rouk app (like I can do now with my Win11 PC)?

2. Does anyone have a link showing a novice like me how to set up the Raspberry Pi box, installing Emby on it, and (ideally) transferring my Library there?

If it helps, the Raspberry Pi box I'm considering is the one described in this article ubder the header: "Best Cheap Emby Server 2022 – Raspberry Pi 4"

https://techuplife.com/best-emby-server/

Thanks a million in advance!

Hi, have you taken a look at the download instructions on our website?

• 1 month later...
Jägs

If you are comfortable using a terminal/console, I'd suggest using DietPi.  It's very slim and will get you as close as a dedicated Emby server as you can get.

Once you have it installed, you can use the DietPi tools to directly install Emby Server:

https://dietpi.com/docs/dietpi_tools/

This video will help in the process, though they are using a Pi 3B:

I would suggest getting a Pi 4 case that has a fan, as they tend to run a little warm.

You can even set it up as a hotspot to use in the car.  I use this setup and it works great for long roadtrips.

RanmaCanada

Pi is a horrible choice as it doesn't support hardware encoding of any files that need to be transcoded.  With how expensive Covid has made Pi's I would strongly suggest you get a micro PC like a Lenovo Tiny, HP Mini or Dell Micro.  They can be had for relatively the same price as a Pi4 is currently going for.  You can install windows and have nothing to worry about.

Jägs
15 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Pi is a horrible choice as it doesn't support hardware encoding of any files that need to be transcoded.

At least for the RPi 4, I don't think that's the case, because you can enable OpenMax:

I haven't tested this because for a variety of reasons, I use Jellyfin on my RPi4, but I've not encountered transcoding issues when I tested a 4K rip.  I used this guide to expand the amount of memory available to achieve this:

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-jellyfin/#hardwareacceleration

I agree on the pricing, though—I was lucky to get a RPi 4 8GB before the pandemic—so if you can find other hardware, it may be a better option, though I would avoid running Windows on a similar device because Linux performs better.

TMCsw
19 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Pi is a horrible choice as it doesn't support hardware encoding of any files that need to be transcoded.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion?

But ffmpeg does support this on the Pi4 via (-c:v h264_v4l2m2m) for one example.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Anskar26

Hallo,

Habe dieses Thema hier gefunden. 

Beabsichtige auch den EmbyServer auf den Raspberry 4 zu installieren. 

Habe mir obiges YouTube Video angesehen. 

Meine Frage, funktioniert das zuverlässig auf dem Raspberry 4?

MfG Anskar 

Hello,

I found this topic here. 

I also intend to install the EmbyServer on the Raspberry 4. 

I watched the YouTube video above. 

My question is, does this work reliably on the Raspberry 4?

Regards, Anskar

13 hours ago, Anskar26 said:

Hallo,

Habe dieses Thema hier gefunden. 

Beabsichtige auch den EmbyServer auf den Raspberry 4 zu installieren. 

Habe mir obiges YouTube Video angesehen. 

Meine Frage, funktioniert das zuverlässig auf dem Raspberry 4?

MfG Anskar 

Hello,

I found this topic here. 

I also intend to install the EmbyServer on the Raspberry 4. 

I watched the YouTube video above. 

My question is, does this work reliably on the Raspberry 4?

Regards, Anskar

Hi, yes it does.

• Thanks 1