Remote connection problems

bluesuedeuk

bluesuedeuk

In the last 2-3 weeks I've been having issues with remote connection. I've not made any changes that I'm aware of and the issues seem to arise regardless of the remote device (Firesticks. iPhones etc) or the remote location. The problem is that either the server is unavailable or the playback stops midway through a show. Restarting the server seems to resolve the issue short term but I'm now having to do this several times a day. There has been no issue on my local network. Thanks.

Hello bluesuedeuk,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when this happens? Thanks.

Hi, is the server still running normally when this happens, e.g. can you access the web interface from the server machine?

Is your M: drive having problems or going offline?

OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/Martin/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 12
	Data path: C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'M:\Elle'.
	   at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1.CreateDirectoryHandle(String path, Boolean ignoreNotFound)
	   at System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1.Init()

bluesuedeuk

Hi there, yes my server is also my desktop pc which runs 24/7. I can access the web interface and the M: drive with no issues. Everything has been working perfectly up until 2-3 weeks ago when various members of my family (not in the house) told me they'd been having problems accessing Emby remotely. There's been no changes to my setup (that I'm aware of) in that time. My ISP is Virgin Media who supplied me with a new router a few months ago but this issue has only started in the last couple of weeks. Thanks again, Martin.

bluesuedeuk

Hi, a family member was trying to connect remotely last night and got the message "Sever Unavailable" (see attached image). When I restart the server at my end, it works again. Thanks.

image.jpeg

bluesuedeuk

Are there any other settings I could look at? It works fine from all devices in the house (on the local network or Wi-Fi) and I'm only having problems with remote connections. If I restart the server manually it will work again for a while but I've been having to restart it several times a day.

Please try the 1.1.8 update to the Port mapper plugin that's going up and see if that helps. Thanks.

bluesuedeuk

Thanks Luke. I'll try that. It seems to be the same problem that user 'Mookdog' (Posted 12th April) had reported and is related to port mapper. I'll let you know if the 1.1.8 update resolves the issue.

bluesuedeuk

Hi Luke, I updated Port Mapper to 1.1.8 but that hasn't fixed the problem. I tried downgrading to an earlier version of PM as other users have suggested but it automatically updates pretty much straight away. I've now uninstalled Port Mapper and everything seems to be working again. Is there any reason why I would need the Port Mapper plugin? My knowledge is quite basic when it comes to routers etc and your help is very much appreciated and I love the Emby software. Thanks again.

bluesuedeuk

Hi Luke, any updates? After uninstalling Port Mapper (1.1.8) the remote connection seemed to be working again but as of this morning I'm getting the same problem again ie. "Select Server" screen and then "Connection Failure" when I try to connect remotely. It's still working fine in the house on the local network. When I install Port Mapper 1.1.8 it starts working again but stops after several minutes. Thanks.

Edited by bluesuedeuk

visproduction

Blues,

Your screen shot is from a TV.  How are you connecting?

1. Are you trying to access the Emby server from the TV directly? 
  2. Or do you access Emby server through a phone, tablet or notebook, pick media and cast the video to the TV?

The tech is quite different and unfortunately the first method is often changed by the TV and software updates to stop anyone from easily doing this method.  Samsung, for example blocks a lot of access from the TV to servers.  Sony TV's allow more.  Every TV software update might block more access.  They are all trying to avoid getting sued.  This might explain why suddenly it is a problem.  Either TV software was updated or your remote access from the TV features changed.  Anything coming from the TV to find Emby server is likely to stop working with any update.  I just avoid using this type of access alltogether.   This is only a guess.  I am not that familar with all the access from TV options.

The second menthod works a lot better.  Maybe it would an idea to convert to that method.  Either get Emby phone app or access the Emby server with the web page turn on any media and send (cast) it to the TV.

Hope that helps.

Edited by visproduction

bluesuedeuk

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes the screenshot is from a TV but it's running the Emby app on a Firestick. I've tested with various remote devices (phone, tablet, fire tv etc) and the result is the same. I've been trying some of the options from the 'connection help' page and so far I've established that my router is UPnP compatible and that it is turned on. I've managed to get remote Emby access working again for now by, once again, uninstalling Port Mapper then disabling UPnP and then re-enabling UPnP on my router.

Why I'm confused is that the issue seems to have arisen since the update to Port Mapper 1.1.7 (and 1.1.8) and was working perfectly before this.

Thanks again.