Sub title offset for Android TV

RokuGuys

RokuGuys

How to adjust subtitle offset in Android TV?  I have a video with subtitles off by 4 seconds. I can set the offset in Emby Server - Win10 and that fixes the playback in Win10. How to do the same in Android/Nvidia Shield?

Hi.  If they are external SRT subs, then there is a menu option in the subtitle menu during playback.  Internal subs cannot be altered.

• Like 1

RokuGuys
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If they are external SRT subs, then there is a menu option in the subtitle menu during playback.  Internal subs cannot be altered.

Somehow I missed it. Thanks!😀

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
invisman

Any possibility of adding time offset for internal SRT subtitles on Android TV app? This is the sole reason I have to use Kodi via Embycon.

Edited by invisman
  • Like 1

seanbuff
6 minutes ago, invisman said:

Any possibility of adding time offset for internal SRT subtitles on Android TV app? This is the sole reason I have to use Kodi via Embycon.

I guess the question is, what is the likelihood that embedded SRT subtitles would be out of sync?

Internal subs presumably came from the same source as the audio/video and therefore should be already 100% synced no?

• Agree 1

invisman
Just now, seanbuff said:

I guess the question is, what is the likelihood that embedded SRT subtitles would be out of sync?

Internal subs presumably came from the same source as the audio/video and therefore should be already 100% synced no?

Not always. For many TV shows, the subtitles are early by 0.5 to 1 second, which kind of ruins the scene for me by revealing the dialogue early. This is most common for network TV (like CBS, NBC) while streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV etc... synchronise subtitles properly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, invisman said:

Any possibility of adding time offset for internal SRT subtitles on Android TV app?

Hi.  That is not something that will be easily done and, as mentioned, it should be extremely rare.

What is the source of these TV shows?  Are you actually talking about closed captions?

invisman

I am attaching a 90 seconds clip from the documentary History's Greatest Heists.

As you can see, the subtitles appear about 0.5 seconds before the actual dialogue on some occasions. This is not a big deal (especially for documentaries) but sometimes this gap is 1 second or more, which ruins the fictional content particularly. The subtitle is an embedded SRT file. It would have been awesome if I could adjust the offset for this as well. Using Kodi after using the Emby app is not a smooth experience, to say the least.

sample.mkv

seanbuff
1 hour ago, invisman said:

As you can see, the subtitles appear about 0.5 seconds before the actual dialogue on some occasions.

I'm really not sure what you mean, I just tested this sample and the subs are perfectly in sync for me.

Even using Subtitle Edit's "visual" waveform, you can see they are in sync with the dialog

image.png.89402b7053fc32a5f82a50298e0353d8.png

seanbuff
6 minutes ago, invisman said:

Alright how about this clip from the show The Equalizer?

Okay in this sample there is maybe 1-2 lines that are out slightly. However, the majority are in-sync so using an offset feature would shift the entire timeline and throw the whole thing out. Not ideal.

I blame the source of the subs, and its never going to be perfect - as you're dealing with only a small subset of lines per video, I don't see any offset feature (internal or external) to fix this for you unfortunately.

invisman
3 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Okay in this sample there is maybe 1-2 lines that are out slightly. However, the majority are in-sync so using an offset feature would shift the entire timeline and throw the whole thing out. Not ideal.

I blame the source of the subs, and its never going to be perfect - as you're dealing with only a small subset of lines per video, I don't see any offset feature (internal or external) to fix this for you unfortunately.

Actually in the full video, majority of lines are out of sync by 0.5 to 1 second. Only a few are properly in sync. I watched the entire episode using Kodi by setting a delay of 500 ms, which works for most of the lines. Wish I could do the same on Emby as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, invisman said:

Actually in the full video, majority of lines are out of sync by 0.5 to 1 second. Only a few are properly in sync. I watched the entire episode using Kodi by setting a delay of 500 ms, which works for most of the lines. Wish I could do the same on Emby as well.

Hi, are you sure they're off by that much? In the sample they appear to be in sync, no?