TV episode naming not working as expected with Release 4.7.0/4.7.1

Beroli

Beroli

Just adding that my issue appears to be much broader than Continue Watching.  In an effort to try to correct the Continue Watching issue, I deleted my library in Emby and re-added it as a different name.  The Metadata that was linked for this new library is a complete mess.  I have a very well organized folder system that meets that Emby standards.  I have used it very successfully with the prior versions of emby.  However, now it seems to be combining multiple physical files/episodes into the same metadata episode information and showing versions of an episode instead of different episodes as would be expected.

Here is an example of the first seven episodes of Ozark Season 4.  All are tagged as Episode 1 - The Beginning of the End.

Ozark.jpg

Beroli

So I found another post about someone having problems with 4.7.0/4.7.1 with episode numbering.  The other person and I are both using the supposedly supported file naming convention of "01 Episode Name.ext" for TV episodes placed in a folder structure that includes the Show and Season Number.  This has always worked for me with Emby up through 4.6.7.  With 4.7.0, it appears that it doesn't work to use this naming convention - even though it is still shown on the TV Naming support page (https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming).  So far, I have resolved most of my various issues by renaming the files in Ozark Season 4 to include the Show Name, Season Number, Episode Number, and Name.  I suppose I just have to accept the fact that I have to rename over 10,000 TV show episodes to have a working version of Emby.

11 hours ago, Beroli said:

supported file naming convention of "01 Episode Name.ext" for TV episodes placed in a folder structure that includes the Show and Season Number.

Hi.  Can you show us exactly how your files and folders were named?

Beroli

I started my library using iTunes, so I am using the standard iTunes folder and naming convention.

Here is an example of my Season 3 Ozark folder.

Ozark Season 3 Structure.jpg

Thanks.  You meant season 1, right?

You are saying that naming convention is no longer working?

Beroli

Oops.  Yes, I meant Season 1.  Correct, this naming convention is no longer working consistently.  It works for probably 80-90% of my library, but for the remainder I get varied results.  I already posted what happened to Season 4 of Ozark - several episodes consolidated as versions of a single episode.  For other shows, standard episodes were marked as special episodes.  I also had the problem of continue watching not understanding where I was within a series.

3 minutes ago, Beroli said:

I already posted what happened to Season 4 of Ozark - several episodes consolidated as versions of a single episode

Can we please see that folder so we can compare the file names to what was actually produced?

Beroli

I already renamed Season 4 and refreshed during my troubleshooting.   However, the same thing happened with Season 1, so here is a screenshot from Emby of the result of the naming convention posted above for Season 1.  All the episodes are considered versions of Episode 1.

Ozark Season 1 Result.jpg

Edited by Beroli
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Beroli said:

Reproduce what?

"TV episode naming not working as expected with Release 4.7.0/4.7.1"

Beroli

I don't understand what you want me to reproduce.  I have already included the screen prints of my folder structure (Ozark Season 1) and the resulting match in Emby (All episodes linked as versions to Episode 1).  I don't need to reproduce it.  It is what I have.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Beroli said:

Reproduce what?

If I can reproduce the multi-versioning that you are getting.

13 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

No as I get the episodes in season folder but unidentified.

Used exact naming and structure for 01-10.

image.thumb.png.a9fddea38f0166e0eedefed8f0c05069.png

image.png.d8ff0ed2558850065d6f5ad79a6036a6.png

Same results in stable and beta for this season folder/only numbered episodes.

Still trying some other tests.

Happy2Play

Could not get it to multi-version or identify episodes with only episode number and name.  (Showname/Season 1/01 anything.ext per KB)

But dropping everything and only having an episode number did properly identify.  Not ideal as most will want episode name. @Luke

image.png.6b3b2aa76f0de383999544f7a617da57.png

image.thumb.png.f74fe577fab202ea3c52e7ebdf2cefdb.png

Original name

2022-05-31 15:02:09.651 Debug App: Running FFProbeProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01 Sugarwood (HD).strm
2022-05-31 15:02:09.659 Debug App: Running TvdbEpisodeProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01 Sugarwood (HD).strm
2022-05-31 15:02:09.660 Debug App: No series identity found for 01 Sugarwood (HD)
2022-05-31 15:02:09.660 Debug App: TvdbEpisodeProvider returned no metadata for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01 Sugarwood (HD).strm
2022-05-31 15:02:09.660 Debug App: Running MovieDbEpisodeProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01 Sugarwood (HD).strm
2022-05-31 15:02:09.660 Debug App: MovieDbEpisodeProvider returned no metadata for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01 Sugarwood (HD).strm
2022-05-31 15:02:09.660 Debug App: Running BaseGenreCleaner for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01 Sugarwood (HD).strm
2022-05-31 15:02:09.660 Debug App: Running TvdbEpisodeImageProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01 Sugarwood (HD).strm
2022-05-31 15:02:09.661 Debug App: No series identity found for 01 Sugarwood (HD)

Modified 

2022-05-31 15:41:27.043 Debug App: Running FFProbeProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01.strm
2022-05-31 15:41:27.043 Debug App: Running TvdbEpisodeProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01.strm
2022-05-31 15:41:27.044 Debug App: Running MovieDbEpisodeProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01.strm
2022-05-31 15:41:27.047 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.themoviedb.org/3/tv/69740/season/1/episode/1?api_key=‌f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669‌&append_to_response=images,external_ids,credits,videos&language=en&include_image_language=en,null
2022-05-31 15:41:30.588 Debug App: Running BaseGenreCleaner for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01.strm
2022-05-31 15:41:30.588 Debug App: Running TvdbEpisodeImageProvider for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\TV Shows - DB\Ozark\Season 1\01.strm
2022-05-31 15:41:30.588 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.thetvdb.com/banners/episodes/329089/6104951.jpg

Beroli

TV Shows.

Let me try to explain the underlying issue again.

I have around 10,000 TV episodes of various TV shows.  I have been building this library for more than a decade.  I use PlayOn to record most of the episodes.  I use MetaX to tag the files from TheTVDB.  Then add them to an iTunes library using the native iTunes organization.  This is where the files get renamed as 01 Episode Name.mp4.  About a year ago, I started using Emby and a duplicate copy of my existing iTunes folders to an Emby TV library.  Everything worked beautifully.  Last week, I updated my server to 4.7.0 and my continue watching stopped working (my initial post was about continue watching not working but an admin split my post off into two items).  In an effort to solve the continue watching issue, I deleted my Emby library and created a new library with a different name linked to the same duplicate iTunes folders.  Then I started seeing the issues with the episodes consolidating into a single episode with multiple versions.  I updated to 4.7.1 without any improvement.  My issue is that however my folders were organized before and however my files were tagged worked perfectly with 4.6.7.  With 4.7.0/4.7.1 about 20% of my library is screwed up and continue watching gives unexpected results (jumps multiple episodes into another season when I am trying to watch a series in order).  I tried to downgrade back to 4.6.7, but unfortunately that has an even worse result - emby doesn't load anything at all.

I have more or less accepted that I will have to retag/rename all of my 10,000 episodes.  I just wish I would have understood better that emby releases aren't intended to be stable.  I stayed away from the beta version and assumed that a fully released version would work like the prior version with improvements.  Lesson learned.  I'll stay away from new releases in the future until they are well integrated in the community and more of the bugs are fixed.

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

@berlo101 what is the content type of the library that you configured in emby library setup?

I get the same results in Mixed Content in my tests. Numbers with no name works while Number anything fails to identify.

• Ozark
    • Season 1
      • 01 anything.ext (fails to identify, but appeared correct for me without multi-versioning as shown above)

vs

• Ozark
    • Season 1
      • 01 (identifies properly)

Season test files attached.

Season 1.rarSeason 1 removed names.rar

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

I get the same results in Mixed Content in my tests. Numbers with no name works while Number anything fails to identify.

• Ozark
    • Season 1
      • 01 anything.ext (fails to identify, but appeared correct for me without multi-versioning as shown above)

vs

• Ozark
    • Season 1
      • 01 (identifies properly)

Season test files attached.

Season 1.rar 719 B · 0 downloads Season 1 removed names.rar 542 B · 0 downloads

Can you see how 4.6.7 compares? It looks to me like it should have the same issue but I'm not positive. Thanks.

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you see how 4.6.7 compares? It looks to me like it should have the same issue but I'm not positive. Thanks.

Testing the OP naming worked in 4.6.7.0.

image.png.20859257b2eebaf0e7e4c58814173c16.png

Does the TVDB v3 data get parsed differently vs v4?

Beroli

I updated to 4.7.2 this morning and rebuilt my library.  Everything seems fine now.

Thanks for the resolution!