Synology DS220+

miniz98

miniz98

Hello so I currently use a gaming PC with Nvidia 3060 ti that works great. Problem is storage. I started looking into nas. How well does emby server run natively on this nas and I'm wondering if I should still use the PC for server and the nas for file storage. Or would running the nas as the whole server run better than a windows machine? Thanks in advance. 

FrostByte

The most important thing to probably consider is how much do you transcode 4K, or transcode at all.  Emby runs great on a Synology and I won't be going back to Windows as my server.   Synology DSM is a great server OS and it's nice only needing one machine up at all times. However, the NAS won't be able to compete with your PC for transcoding.  The DS220+ does have a 4K gpu though so it can probably handle a stream or two with no problem.  

If you're going to get the NAS anyway for storage you could try it as an Emby and just have two servers for a bit.

• Like 1

miniz98

Thanks for clarifying. So using the nas as a storage server would run fine then I'm assuming. Will the windows machine still transcode just as fast as the drives being native on the windows machine? I guess I could always put more drives on the windows machine. 

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, miniz98 said:

Thanks for clarifying. So using the nas as a storage server would run fine then I'm assuming. Will the windows machine still transcode just as fast as the drives being native on the windows machine? I guess I could always put more drives on the windows machine. 

my setup is server on windows and most media on a synology nas. the stuff i record off tv is on a drive in the windows pc though and there is no perceptible difference in terms of start time

• Like 1

miniz98

What nas would you recommend that would be comparable to a Nvidia 3060 for transcoding. And do you think I'm waisting my time and just run it on a windows machine?

FrostByte

Have you had a look at Qnap?  I don't like their OS as much as DSM, but you can add a nice Quadro or something else to a Qnap NAS

BillybobBilly

Just to add some commentary to this. I run my Emby on a DS1821+ and it works fine. It isn't lightning fast compared to my previous system (hosting it on a win 10 PC with very high end hardware) but that's to be expected. As was already mentioned, if you do a lot of transcoding it can be a bit slow but I've been slowly converting my whole media library to the proper video+audio format and the amount of transcodes has gone down significantly.

For reference, I run some media at 1080p, most media at 720p and a strong percentage at below 720p (where sourcing higher quality is difficult or the media is not popular and I just store it for collector/backup purposes). I have my server configured for 10 users (usually between 1-4 active at a time) and there is no issues whatsoever. 

I do have a good amount of ram in my box (32gb) and 2TB SSD for faster loading of images (posters, artists etc.). Without the RAM and SSD upgrade I found my NAS to be a little slower than I'd like but since I've upgraded the experience is quite nice. I never get complaints from any of my users related to lag or loading times.

• Like 1

heffeque
10 hours ago, BillybobBilly said:

Just to add some commentary to this. I run my Emby on a DS1821+ and it works fine. It isn't lightning fast compared to my previous system (hosting it on a win 10 PC with very high end hardware) but that's to be expected. As was already mentioned, if you do a lot of transcoding it can be a bit slow but I've been slowly converting my whole media library to the proper video+audio format and the amount of transcodes has gone down significantly.

For reference, I run some media at 1080p, most media at 720p and a strong percentage at below 720p (where sourcing higher quality is difficult or the media is not popular and I just store it for collector/backup purposes). I have my server configured for 10 users (usually between 1-4 active at a time) and there is no issues whatsoever. 

I do have a good amount of ram in my box (32gb) and 2TB SSD for faster loading of images (posters, artists etc.). Without the RAM and SSD upgrade I found my NAS to be a little slower than I'd like but since I've upgraded the experience is quite nice. I never get complaints from any of my users related to lag or loading times.

DSM 7.x does a great job at SSD R/W cache. A pair of cheap 256 GB NVMe SSD is more than enough to make everything snappier, especially Emby's graphic interface. No need for a whole 2 TB SSD.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:37 AM, miniz98 said:

Hello so I currently use a gaming PC with Nvidia 3060 ti that works great. Problem is storage. I started looking into nas. How well does emby server run natively on this nas and I'm wondering if I should still use the PC for server and the nas for file storage. Or would running the nas as the whole server run better than a windows machine? Thanks in advance. 

Have you thought of keeping you setup exactly like it is now but add an external DAS box with 4 to 8 bays?
It's going to be 1/2 the price or cheaper and no NAS is going to compare to the speeds you get on your computer.

Lots of choices. Home consumer models usually use USB3, Firewire, eSATA or 1Gb Networking.
Typically only support SATA Drives

Enterprise/Commercial uses SAS, InfiniBand, Fiber
SAS, SATA, Fiber

You can probably get used Enterprise stuff off eBay cheaper than new consumer equipment. Built like a tank but really wants to be in a rack. :)

For home use you may want to checkout a USB3 DAS unit with 4 to 6 drive bays.  You want JBOD (just a bunch of disks), not RAID, MIRROR or other features.

• Like 1