4k media server for caravan

jordy

jordy

Hi all, I'm looking for a 4k media player for my caravan.

It will just play movies and stuff from a portable USB I'm currently looking at the MyPin 4k media player unless I can find one that has wifi as well (the MyPin does not). Does anyone have experience with this player? Or recommendations for something else?

I'll probably install the emby Android server on it and use the external HDD as library.

Thanks for any assistance.

jordy
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, the Nvidia Shield is a great choice.

Thanks @Luke, I already have 2 of these at home so I concur with you. However,  most likely, I will not have a data connection whilst I'm traveling in my caravan. Mobile connections can be spotty outside of the metro area in Aus - not to mention costly. So I'm looking for something that can do the job without it...

bakes82

Shield can run plex server, just use the shield and plex, even better solution, or just mount the drive on shield and use the built in player, otherwise youre not talking about a HTPC build, or just download the files to your phone/tablet and play from there.

RanmaCanada
2 hours ago, bakes82 said:

Shield can run plex server, just use the shield and plex, even better solution, or just mount the drive on shield and use the built in player, otherwise youre not talking about a HTPC build, or just download the files to your phone/tablet and play from there.

Plex phones home and won't work without an internet connection.  Emby server will work perfectly fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
jordy
On 6/2/2022 at 6:24 AM, Luke said:

Emby Server on Nvidia Shield will be a great option.

Ok, so I got around to installing Emby Server on my shield. Install went ok, but, when I try to open the server on the shield using "Open in Browser" , I get "No Application can handle this action" msg.

What browser is the best for this?

Bear in mind, this will be a self contained media server. eg the shield connected directly to my TV - no internet connection - all media on a drive plugged into the shield.

thanks

Just now, jordy said:

Ok, so I got around to installing Emby Server on my shield. Install went ok, but, when I try to open the server on the shield using "Open in Browser" , I get "No Application can handle this action" msg.

What browser is the best for this?

Bear in mind, this will be a self contained media server. eg the shield connected directly to my TV - no internet connection - all media on a drive plugged into the shield.

thanks

If possible I'd suggest a mobile device using the web app.

jordy
1 minute ago, Luke said:

If possible I'd suggest a mobile device using the web app.

Ok, I assumed  it would be just like a Windows Server where I could use a browser on the same machine. If this is not possible, how do I connect to it when it's not on a network?

1 minute ago, jordy said:

Ok, I assumed  it would be just like a Windows Server where I could use a browser on the same machine. If this is not possible, how do I connect to it when it's not on a network?

Then you'd need a browser on the shield, which i haven't tried to do myself. Ultimately we need to switch the server android UI to a webview so that you can use the web app directly with that.

jordy
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Then you'd need a browser on the shield, which i haven't tried to do myself. Ultimately we need to switch the server android UI to a webview so that you can use the web app directly with that.

OK, so where are you on that? is it likely to be done anytime soon?

jordy
2 hours ago, Luke said:

It's planned for the future. Thanks.

I hate seeing those words... From my experience it means you'll be waiting for a very long time... sad

RanmaCanada

You may need to just go with a laptop as your server and media station then.  I would recommend at least an 8th gen i3 as it will handle everything and you can just plug in USB drives, and use the HDMI out.  i3 8130u's can be had for cheap, at least on this side of the pond, or even an Intel NUC 

GrimReaper
On 6/21/2022 at 4:19 AM, jordy said:

But a travel router, size of a pack of cigarettes, I currently have 10ish users on one such (other flavors available), so you'll be able to connect from multiple devices (mobiles, tablets) and you'll get WebUI for server admin.