Movie Check

JCoryShe

JCoryShe

I started my movie collection long before i knew what Plex or Emby even were so I had close to a thousand movies before I let Emby start scanning them. So my question is,  According to Emby I have 2000 movies but when I just look at the file count it shows way more then that and yes thats only video files so is there any way other than going one by one to check if Emby was able to add every movie? 

GrimReaper

Not sure I follow the math there:

50 minutes ago, JCoryShe said:

so I had close to a thousand movies before I let Emby start scanning them

According to Emby I have 2000 movies

when I just look at the file count it shows way more then that

JCoryShe

Those are not the correct numbers what im saying is Emby count is lower than the file count as in some have to be missing.

I dont know if its because Emby dosent reconize a file name or whatever the reason, Im just asking if theres an easier way to compare one to the other

GrimReaper

You can use Reports plugin export function and filelist from your OS and compare? 

JCoryShe

actual numbers are Emby 1681 and windows 2131. I have been using the reports plugin trying to solve this but its alot to go through by hand and didnt know if anyone has ever had to deal with something like this or maybe knows a faster way

pwhodges

What is the naming scheme?  Emby prefers each movie in a separate folder, and the folder name is what is looked up.

I ask because I'm wondering if a lot have been mis-recognised and then combined with others as incorrect multi-versions.

Paul

Gilgamesh_48

The issue you are seeing usually happens when Emby makes some separate movies "duplicates" and that is usually caused by naming. The naming of movie files should basically be "Movie Name (year) [anything you want Emby to ignore].ext" where ext is whatever video extension you wish to use.

I strongly suggest you get everything named so that Emby has the easiest time possible finding the correct match.

Also you can get away with just about any structure for movies but TV shows, if you have any, are very very different. If you have TV shows you should follow Emby's naming scheme exactly.

For mass renaming I use "FileBot" and it can, but does not have to, even produce the structure Emby needs. (There is even a "Plex" preset that can be used for TV and that preset works with Emby as well. When I first started using Emby I had about 2000 movies but only about 1500 were recognized. I ran my entire movie library through FileBot and the matching became correct on all but 5 movies. Those 5 were all rather obscure Japanese (and one German) movies that even FileBot had problems with so I fixed them manually.

Emby displays any movies that are considered duplicates with a small number in the upper left of the poster so it is pretty easy to see which movies are considered duplicates. Of course there could be some that are matched incorrectly and those are harder to find.

So, bottom line is that for Emby naming is the most important thing if you want correct matching.

Note: Although many/most people use separate folders for each movie I do not and never have as that structure causes maintenance issues for me and for me is totally unneeded. I do NOT have any matching issues because of that. The main use I see for separate folders is grouping extras and subtitles and such together and I think it is needed for trailers etc. I do not use any of those fluff things and I have zero problems. I also do not keep multiple versions of movies so I do not need the extra complexities of folders for that.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

JCoryShe

None of my movies are in individual folders never knew that was an issue, but some have stuff added to the filename from the ripper I used years ago. When I was younger I made my own dvd and kept the original file, but years later I discovered Emby and setup a server but I didn't realize until a few months ago that what Emby said I have and what Windows says are different.  I tried going though one by one but that's taking forever. I'm not good at writing programs but I thought about using the Report plugin to export a file of what Emby sees and do the same with a program that can compare the two together if that makes sense. 

Gilgamesh_48
42 minutes ago, JCoryShe said:

None of my movies are in individual folders never knew that was an issue,

It is not, as I said before none of my movies are in separate folders and I have no, ZERO, matching problems. Unless you need the fancy smancy stuff like extras it is not needed. Even subtitles can be well managed, if they are needed, without separate folders.

But my recommendation is still to use FileBot, or something like it, and rename every movie you have. It will name then correctly and get rid of the extra crap that might confuse Emby. FileBot can rename your entire library all at once although there will need to be time spent checking the few file names that FileBot does not initially recognize.

FileBot is not perfect and neither is Emby and even I have my imperfect moments but at its worst FileBot only misses about 1% of even really bad filenames and, mostly, FileBot will report and ask for approval of most of what it is not sure of. Fixinf 10-20 files manually is a LOT easier than fixing several hundred.

BTW: There are many programs that will take your files and place then in separate folders. One is, I think, called FileToFolder BUT all the ones I tested (on a small subset of me library) screwed up more than they fixed.

I think, even if you want all the fancy stuff available when using separate folders, you only need to place those movies in separate folders.

Just get rid of the extra unneeded crap in the files names or put it in square brackets [ ] and make sure all your movies are named correctly and you will have little problem with Emby identifying them correctly.

I also recommend that you chose the option to store your metadata and alongside your media. It makes it easier to see what Emby has done. I also store the bif files with the media but that is not 100% needed. But since choosing that option I do notice that files that will direct play load and start playing a bit faster. However I have not measured it so it may be more subjective than objective.

Happy2Play
On 5/29/2022 at 1:39 PM, JCoryShe said:

actual numbers are Emby 1681 and windows 2131

Do you have the Group into Collections checked on the library?

Group items into collections
Group items based on collections they've been added to. Enabling certain filters or sort orders may automatically disable this.

example

3420 Items - enabled

3914 Items - disabled

JCoryShe

Yes I do but how does that change the total when it's still listed in the movies page along with in the collections page?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, JCoryShe said:

Yes I do but how does that change the total when it's still listed in the movies page along with in the collections page?

The "Group items into collections" option collapses the view so 1 Alien Collection vs 4 Alien movies in that view, has nothing to do with Movie page vs Collections page.