One movie not playing

Gods

My TCL Tv not Roku is at Fault.  

I too am having problems within the last week or so.  I start a movie with HDR/Dolby Vision/ Even HD and part way through the movie it will show the buffer screen.  Then just stick at 33%.  Have to hit home button on Roku remote to get out of it.  I thought it was a bad copy i did so i went to a movie that i know for sure works great my Fifth Element movie and it did the same thing around 15 min.  It all starts around 15 minutes into the movie.  The only error i see in the logs is that the app has force stopped the movie.  If i play any of these movies on my edge browser it plays fine and doesn't do it.  My phone is fine also.  So must be the Roku app causing the problem.  I have version 4.0  Build 55.  Never Mind I believe it to be the TCL itself.  As i was typing this out i noticed all my problems started on the last update of the TCL Tv.  Also I used an external hard drive and loaded the movies onto it and tried to play it.  It crashed with the same 33% buffer right around the same place.  I skipped some of the movie and tried again and same thing.  So I think I need to see if there is a beta or a flash back for my TCL Tv.  My software version is 11 build 4193 updated last on May 14th 2022.  Incase anyone else has this problem.  

16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi @Gods, can we please look at a specific example?

Thanks !

Didn't he say his issue was traced to the TV firmware update?

13 hours ago, Gods said:

Never Mind I believe it to be the TCL itself.

A bad temporary solution is when it does it Skip 5 minutes ahead in the movie and it will play the rest fine.  It just between 15 and 20 minutes in it stops.   I reached out to Roku and TCL and nothing from either of them.  However on my other tv that is older TCL Roku 55 inch using a fire stick it plays fine and then using the Roku app version it played with a small hiccup for a second but didn't really buffer or anything and continued on.  It is running the same OS version of Roku and same emby version but doesn't do it.  So maybe it specific to my 65R617 model tv.   

The error triggered the playback correction unfortunately. What then happens it means the content must be Remuxed (video stream is copied into a new container), or at the very worst, Transcoded (video stream is converted on-the-fly). I am assuming it is transcoding which is very costly for your CPU and once it gets there with 4K HDR content it might never return. Your server cannot produce the frames fast enough to convert in real time.

You might be able to re-encode the video stream of that movie (using HandBrake or similar) and get around the issue. You would need to convert the video which would allow the new file created to work through the error as the error would become garbled data and play correctly. But since it isn't garbled data but instead an error is within the stream it chokes the Roku player with Direct Play. The Roku falls back to Direct Stream but my bet is that also fails. The Roku then goes to transcode the video stream and that is where it falls apart.

Do you have any ffmpeg logs created during that time? Those would give a clear indication why it is unplayable. My bet is though it isn't unplayable. It just cannot be converted fast enough in real time to be playable with the hardware it is being converted on. Meaning the server isn't powerful enough. Seeing ffmpeg logs would confirm this suspicion.

NOTE: If these are ripped with Handbrake it can create headers with a faulty runtime. The Roku will believe it has reached the end and buffer. You can use MKVToolNix GUI and simply REMUX the file into a new MKV container and fix the header issue if this is the problem.

Edited by speechles

No it doesn't make any ffmpeg logs at all.  Just continues with the direct play.  But it is only on that tv the other is still fine and it just plays right through.  I have plenty of bandwidth running on 2.5GBit.  and cpu is fine with a 12 core 24 logical.  Thought maybe hard drive failure was starting so i tested the smart and that checked out all within specs and the HDD speed test shows it running at 120MBps.  I have gpu transcoding on but again it doesn't transcode so it is fine.  It just something to do with the Roku software it self with that tv.  As it does it even from the external hdd directly connected to the tv.  Still no response from the TCL or the Roku forums.  

As it does it even from the external hdd directly connected to the tv. 

OK so that confirms that it's just a matter of the TV having trouble with this specific file. Thanks.