TV browser issue after 4.7.1 update

redrobot2121

redrobot2121

LG tv browser is showing your emby premiere device limit has been exceeded after the latest stable update. My best guess is it is counting tv browser as app...

3 hours ago, redrobot2121 said:

My best guess is it is counting tv browser as app

Hi.  That would be correct behavior.  Even though it is a "browser" it is a TV device which counts as a Premiere device.

redrobot2121
On 5/28/2022 at 8:56 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  That would be correct behavior.  Even though it is a "browser" it is a TV device which counts as a Premiere device.

I've been using emby premier for years now and I have never faced any issue. Only after 4.7.1 update i am facing this. Did emby changed the policy for premier with the new update ?????

redrobot2121
On 5/28/2022 at 8:56 PM, ebr said:

I have searched bit more but did find nothing saying that "TV bowser will be counted as emby device". The https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix does not touch that too. As I have said before, browser apps were not counted as "premier device" before the latest update and I am 100% sure of that. If anything I found this post saying browser will not be counted as device: 

. If emby changed this policy kindly let me know. Again, it was not like this before the update.

When we say browsers don't count against the limit, we mean using a computer with a web browser, not as a way to bypass our requirements on TV devices :).

When using a TV as the target device, Premiere is required.  We'll try to make that more clear in the docs.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

We'll try to make that more clear in the docs

Actually, it is already - the title is "PC or Mobile Browser".

pwhodges

All that aside, it seems to me an odd coincidence that the OP reached their device limit at the same time as updating the server.  Even if the manner of counting has subtly changed, it would be unusual I imagine for anyone to be so close to the limit that a minor change would push them over.

Paul

redrobot2121
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Actually, it is already - the title is "PC or Mobile Browser".

Now I am more confused. According to https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix , Full playback is possible even with emby free on lg and Samsung tv. (2nd table from the bottom). Why would it count as premier device if it is allowed in the free version ???

Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV (LG and Samsung) Free   Premiere
Full Playback

Live TV    

redrobot2121
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

All that aside, it seems to me an odd coincidence that the OP reached their device limit at the same time as updating the server.  Even if the manner of counting has subtly changed, it would be unusual I imagine for anyone to be so close to the limit that a minor change would push them over.

Paul

I have mentioned before several times that before update tv devices was not counted as premier device and I am 100% sure of that. They were not counted as premier device so the problem did not appear. It is only normal for me to hit the limit just like that if my tv devices are counted as premier device.

8 hours ago, redrobot2121 said:

Now I am more confused. According to https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173099-emby-premiere-feature-matrix , Full playback is possible even with emby free on lg and Samsung tv. (2nd table from the bottom). Why would it count as premier device if it is allowed in the free version ???

Roku, Apple TV, Smart TV (LG and Samsung) Free   Premiere
Full Playback

Live TV    

Hi.  Some platforms have been grandfathered in to staying free because they started out that way a long time ago.  The bottom line is, we cannot afford to keep bringing you everything that Emby does without being able to pay our own costs.  We thank you for your support.

17 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Paul

I have no idea what the actual scenario is here but it would probably be not out of the ordinary for people to check several devices (even ones they haven't used in a while) after a major update.

Also, as to the device limits specifically, the primary purpose of those is not actually for us to be able to make more money on larger installations.  Their primary purpose is actually to discourage large installations of our platform.

Thanks.

redrobot2121
16 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Some platforms have been grandfathered in to staying free because they started out that way a long time ago.  The bottom line is, we cannot afford to keep bringing you everything that Emby does without being able to pay our own costs.  We thank you for your support.

I don't understand, I know that lg tv browsers did not count as premier device and it has been like this for years. Only after the new update it changed. The matrix shows full playback is allowed in the free version, why does it count as premier device thn??

Happy2Play

Don't know about the device, but TV mode counts as Premiere.  So if the browser Display Mode is not TV then it does not count.  User settings-Display-Display Mode.

GrimReaper
4 hours ago, redrobot2121 said:

The matrix shows full playback is allowed in the free version, why does it count as premier device thn??

It doesn't, it shows that dedicated client app full playback is free, not TV browser. As far as browsers go, Premiere matrix clearly shows "PC or Mobile browser", as explained here:

On 5/30/2022 at 4:23 PM, ebr said:

When we say browsers don't count against the limit, we mean using a computer with a web browser, not as a way to bypass our requirements on TV devices :).

When using a TV as the target device, Premiere is required.