Episode Numbers Not Being Detected Since 4.7.0.60 (new info)

Invader115

Invader115

EDIT: When I first posted this thread I was wrong about the server version. I thought 4.7.1.0 caused the problem -- it didn't. It was actually 4.7.0.60. This info was only found because older versions are still on GitHub, so I was able to roll back my server a couple times and experiment. I also noticed episodes were having this problem since before 4.7.1.0 so the timeline for that didn't work.

I've tested it and everything works perfectly on version 4.6.7.0, so I'll keep automatic updates disabled and wait for a fix.

Original post, edited w/ new info:

Ever since version 4.7.0.60 released, new TV episodes I add to my library don't display an episode number despite the files using a numbering system that used to work. Once they're scanned into Emby, episodes are sorted alphabetically based on their embedded title, which I do not want. Episodes scanned in before this latest update using the same naming & numbering scheme still display normally.

On my server episodes are stored and titled as "...\Series Name\Season 1\01 Episode Name.ext", with the title and number also being embedded. I have "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" selected. What's particularly confusing to me is that the number is listed in the file twice, once in the filename and once in a dedicated tag, and neither is being detected now.

For testing, I've reinstalled Emby and re-scanned my library, and I've thoroughly checked my files for issues. This problem did not exist until this most recent server version and it's a somewhat serious issue. It might be relevant that I do not use external metadata sources. I add metadata myself.

Edited by Invader115

Gilgamesh_48

While that naming may have worked and may work in the future but it is not one that many use and I do not think it was ever officially supported. I use:
- - - - - - -

TV Shows ← The TV library points here
_______ShowName (year)
____________Season 01
__________________ShowName (year) - s01e01 - Optional Name.ext
_________________ShowName (year) - s01e02 - Optional Name.ext
__________________and so on for the shows in season 01
____________Season 02 ← just like Season 01
____________Season 03 ← and so on for each season
____________Season 00 ← or “Specials”
__________________ShowName (year) - s00e01 - Optional name
__________________ShowName (year) - s00e02 - Optional name
__________________and so on for each special

Note 1: the eXX part of the specials must match EXACTLY what is found in TheTVDB

Note 2: The (year) may be omitted for shows that do not have more than one occurrence throughout the years.

There are many other structures and naming systems that work but this is the one I use and it just works.

For a mass rename I use FileBot with this format string {n.replaceTrailingBrackets()} - {s00e00.lower()} - {t}

- - - - -

I strongly suggest that all TV shows in Emby use a structure like that.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Invader115

I've attached a couple screenshots that show what my files look like in the file explorer vs. in Emby, as well as screenshots of the metadata settings for my TV library.

While I really, really don't want to change my naming scheme for numerous reasons, I will test some others and I'll write back with my results. On the support page here it seems like my naming and file structure should be supported, but maybe I've misinterpreted something.

To clarify, when I wrote that I store episodes as "...\Series Name\Season 1\01 Episode Name.ext", the directory I tell Emby to scan is the directory above "Series Name". I think that's how I'm supposed to do it.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

winexplorer.png.1a6cff23dfcdecbfe6e4b75dd29b04d4.pngmb.png.d46d7c6cbc18df696b174e6958f40218.pnglibsettings2.png.61f1c60406c228fe847933dd4762d8bd.pnglibsettings1.png.e667bd3a31a504c314d39883d628d5bd.png

Edited by Invader115

Invader115

I should probably write out a description of how the problem manifests instead of hoping my screenshots tell the story.

If I add a new series right now, none of the episodes in the series will be numbered (but they will be listed under the correct season). If I add a new episode to a series that was scanned in before the update, only the new episode will be displayed without a number. The old episodes will still display with numbers despite the old episodes using the same numbering style as the new one.

Any episode I add that's formatted how I like behaves the same, but the screenshots should do a good job illustrating one instance of the problem. The screenshots are of a new series I had just added. I'd been using this format for years and these last few days are the first it's given me trouble, so something has definitely changed.

Edited by Invader115
remove unnecessary info, add more clarity

pwhodges
9 hours ago, Invader115 said:

Any episode I add that's formatted how I like behaves the same, 

Emby has preferences too!

Although Emby tries to be flexible in its requirements, success comes with working within Emby's requirements...  I went from having essentially nothing working to everything being hunky-dory after a session with a bulk file renamer.

To identify a season, Emby needs either a season subfolder of the series to contain those episodes, or episode names that include the season specification, such as s02e05.  I do both, usually, though omitting the season folder for single-season shows sometimes happens.  Schemes that are less explicit may work, but what gets by may vary between versions, as you are seeing.

So knowing your folder structure and file names in detail will be what enables us to guide you to a better outcome.

Paul

Invader115

Even with the latest update Emby has no trouble telling what season my episodes are in. My folder structure and file naming convention is also specifically listed as being supported in this support page.

I use "TV\Series Name\Season 1\01 Episode Name.ext", with "TV" being the directory Emby is told to scan in my library settings. Unless I'm reading something wrong this should work fine.

The reason I don't just bulk rename everything is that I've been building my Emby library for years and years, and since I apply metadata manually it's a lot of work getting each series ready. To prevent data loss I back up my media to optical discs, and if the naming convention were to change I would have to re-burn all of my discs or come up with some other convoluted solution to keep them usable.