Zoom SD TV to fill screen

ThePaladinTech

ThePaladinTech

I am  not sure if this is a server or client request

It would would be great if there was a zoom option for SD recordings that made it fill the screen on HD / 4K tvs. 

If it's client related - I am a roku user 

• Agree 1

crusher11

Do you want it to stretch the video so everyone looks fat, or just chop the top and bottom off so everyone is walking around with no head or feet?

• Like 1

Hi.  We have this ability in most of the apps.  Unfortunately, though, Roku doesn't give us much control over this.

VladTepz

+1 for an Auto "Non-linear stretch" option

Will stretch the video to fill a 16x9 display when using 4:3 video WITHOUT disturbing aspect ratio

Kodi has had this feature for a few years now and is one of the "small" features I miss from it.

VladTepz
19 hours ago, crusher11 said:

That's literally impossible.

I'm assuming that's in reference to my quote above. "WITHOUT disturbing aspect ratio" The quote was taken directly from the Kodi Wiki, and while I agree it sounds misleading, I believe it's technically true. 🤔

Normal, or Linear Stretch, stretches the entire content to fit the display, disturbing its entire aspect ratio & makes everything look noticeably distorted.

stretch the video so everyone looks fat, or just chop the top and bottom off so everyone is walking around with no head or feet?

Non-linear Stretch only stretches portions of the sides of the content to fit the display. It maintains a majority of the contents center portion to its 4:3 aspect ratio without any stretching, chopping, or disturbing the centers portions aspect ratio.

This results in much less distortion, (only portions of the sides), and is, in most cases, unnoticeable since in most content, the focus points are typically in the center of the content, where there is no stretching/distorting.

Take this example image below:
Original 4:3 aspect ratio 🔵 4:3 with Normal/Linear Stretch 🔵 4:3 with Non-linear Stretch

Stretch.jpg

crusher11

"Less distortion" and "no distortion" are not synonyms.

You can't change the aspect ratio without altering the aspect ratio.