Actor images logic?

cwills75

cwills75

What is the logic with populating actor images?  Is it whatever show I browse first populates them with images for that series or what?  For example, most of the actor images in Stranger Things shows like sketch artwork of actors until I replace them with normal pictures.  I'll be on a movie or another show, and random cartoon images, like from Transformers or something will pop up for an actor, which then I manually fix.  When searching for actor images, a lot of these series specific ones don't even show up, so I don't know where they are coming from.

I know everybody is going to have their own personal preference here, but shouldn't "normal" pictures of actors be the default before artwork images?  Is there a setting anywhere to mess with this?  I checked with "the other guy" and the actor images there are normal everywhere I've looked, but of course, you can't click and change them in the interface.  I don't really know what's worse - having non-irritating images that actually look like the actors that I can't change, or having the ability to change them, but having to do it all the time because it keeps putting artwork in by default?

Hi, it's usually whatever series or movie was responsible for importing that actor into your emby server database, because that's where the actor image comes from.

In other words, when we get movie or series metadata from MovieDb/Tvdb, it will come with a list of actors and an image url for each.

cwills75
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, it's usually whatever series or movie was responsible for importing that actor into your emby server database, because that's where the actor image comes from.

In other words, when we get movie or series metadata from MovieDb/Tvdb, it will come with a list of actors and an image url for each.

Yes, looking on TVDB, I can see the Stranger Things actor artwork that it must have pulled in from.  It still doesn't seem to make much sense to me though.  If I manually replace that artwork by searching online, the artwork from TVDB's series doesn't even show up, just the ones in the screenshot I added here.  I mean, sure, I can manually give it a URL or an image that I downloaded to replace it with to get the Stranger Things artwork back if I want, but why would I want to?  Then it uses that image across the entire server.

I would think either allow series specific artwork or pull in "normal" artwork instead of series specific to begin with.

Screenshot_1.png

or pull in "normal" artwork instead of series specific to begin with.

Yea I guess this is the ideal, but it's not that simple. This doesn't come attached with the series metadata, which means we'd have to get it one by one for every single person. This would take longer, we'd have to explain to users why library scans are slower, and tvdb has complained to us in the past about hammering their servers when we tried to do this.

cwills75
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yea I guess this is the ideal, but it's not that simple. This doesn't come attached with the series metadata, which means we'd have to get it one by one for every single person. This would take longer, we'd have to explain to users why library scans are slower, and tvdb has complained to us in the past about hammering their servers when we tried to do this.

When I manually search for an actor image, like MBB in this example, the ones that come up seem to be pulled from TMDB, not TVDB.  Couldn't they just be pulled from TMDB in the first place instead of TVDB's series?

Millie Bobby Brown - Profile Images — The Movie Database (TMDB) (themoviedb.org)

Millie Bobby Brown - TheTVDB.com

It's the same situation. They both complained to us in the past about hammering their servers when we tried to pull actor data in bulk one at a time.

If anything we could do an option to just ignore the tvdb images but then you'll end up with some actors not having any. Of course we are continuing to reevaluate options as the provider api's continue to evolve.