Auto pick version 4K or 1080-p

MrLinford

MrLinford

I have read how to structure the folder for multiple versions: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Multi-version movies

Multiple versions of the same content can be stored in a single movie folder.

/Movies
  /300 (2006)
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 1080p.mkv
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 1080p-trailer.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 4K.mkv
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 720p.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - extended edition.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - directors cut.mp4
  /300 (2006)/300 (2006) - 3D.hsbs.mp4

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ".

If using the dash method anything following the dash will be what you see in the Emby client app.

Note: The above example includes a 3D version, which is discussed in the 3D Video naming guide.  Also, this feature is primarily designed for multiple qualities of the same item.  It can be used for different "cuts" but there may be some limitations in doing that.

Can EMBY pick the version to automatically play it based on the client resolution?

Edited by MrLinford

GrimReaper

Emby will always pick optimal/most efficient version for each client, based on number of factors. You might not always be satisfied with that choice. But no, you can't force certain resolution. 

MrLinford

One of my TVs is 720p, and it defaults to the 4K version.

Maybe an option to be added so you can force a client to default to a version..

OldNorse

You can default it to HD name it like this both files in the same folder example.

Blade (1998) - HD

Blade (1998) - UHD

Name as above it will default to HD also allow you to pick if needed 

18198D5A-6539-45F0-9E6B-505BBDC68CD4.jpeg

GrimReaper
15 minutes ago, OldNorse said:

Name as above it will default to HD also allow you to pick if needed 

Naming has absolutely no influence on default version selection. Depending on the client, sometimes it will correspond with alphabetical order, but that is purely coincidental. 

12 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Naming has absolutely no influence on default version selection. Depending on the client, sometimes it will correspond with alphabetical order, but that is purely coincidental. 

Correct.

• Thanks 1

MrLinford

Played a movie that I have 4k and 1080p from a 720p TV and it started transcoding the 4k

Screenshot_20220528-143736.thumb.png.55340cf4fd01bed4fda46e598f093cc5.png

So I set the clients playback setting to force playback at 30Mbps and it now plays the 1080p instead

1 hour ago, MrLinford said:

Played a movie that I have 4k and 1080p from a 720p TV and it started transcoding the 4k

Right, but if you select the 1080p version, that also transcodes, correct?

In the case where neither version can be direct played, and a conversion is necessary, it will choose the higher quality version for the conversion.

MrLinford

Personally I think EMBY should take the closest resolution and transcode that. Why downscale 4K down to 720p, that's a waste of resources.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

neik

This is one of the reasons why I like to keep HD/UHD versions in seperated libraries.
Emby's picking choice isn't always the one I would like to see (e.g. transcoding example above).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrLinford said:

Personally I think EMBY should take the closest resolution and transcode that. Why downscale 4K down to 720p, that's a waste of resources.

Any conversion is going to involve a quality loss.  Converting from the higher quality will minimize that loss - thus producing a higher quality result.

MrLinford

I feel this should be a setting so that server admins/owners can decide if quality takes priority over resource.

Allowing us to choose would allow people without the resources to downscale from 4K to XYZ just that.

The other problem I have, maybe others too, most of my 4K content is HDR* so there is that aspect also.

• Agree 1

crusher11

Yeah, transcoding and tone mapping 4K HDR HEVC on my Synology is a no-go, but transcoding 1080p SDR x264 is a piece of cake.

• Agree 1

visproduction

I agree with Neik.  Just organize either in different folders and assign a 4K logo to the poster or put all 4K in a separate library.  Yes, this is little more work to switch now, but it is very easy to continue doing it this way.

Consider the user experience.  The user probably knows which format works for whatever they are using to playback.  If they can pick either the poster labled with 4K, 1080P or not, they just do that.  If there is a whole library that are all one resolution, they go there to watch.  It's pretty easy.  

Your storage is going to be about the same, only extra copies of backdrop and other images.  Also sorting resolutions into different libraries allows you to assign access per user.  Then even the user that is technically challenged can be set to get the right content that works for them.  You can let them tell you when the get a large 4K TV.

The automatic idea is nice, but the user might have a 720P or 1080P only TV but has bandwidth that can handle 4K.  There is no bandwidth test that would clue the streaming setting that it only needs to be 1080P.  Is it possible to query the TV resolution?  The record in the Cast feature might show a TV model, but often it just shows Roku or Chrome cast.  Can you automatically sense the TV or portable hardware resolution.  That doesn't seem like it would always work.

I think doing the easy organization steps to segregate  your media resolutions in different folders or libraries gives the user a better experience and solves this issue completely.

Edited by visproduction

neik

The main downside for this is that you get an item multiple times in the Continue Watch row, one for each library.

Haven't found a nice solution for this yet...

2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

That won't affect which version Emby selects by default though, will it?

Was pointing folks to where to lend their support for which version is chosen for the conversion.

crusher11
2 hours ago, visproduction said:

The user probably knows which format works for whatever they are using to playback.

LOL

• Haha 1

crusher11
22 hours ago, ebr said:

Was pointing folks to where to lend their support for which version is chosen for the conversion.

I'll be honest, I didn't actually click the link and mistakenly thought it was the plugin that got mentioned recently.