Emby Poster Priority

cablegooru

cablegooru

Does anyone know how emby determines the poster priority for merged libraries.  For example if you have normal TV and 4K TV merged and have custom posters with ratings and badges for 4K media, how does emby scrape and determine which poster to pull and use? Is there a way to prioritize by resolution or root path?

Happy2Play

That is a conflict as quality does not exist at Series or Season level for Shows, only episode level.

But I don't believe anyone has ever tested what happens when one has custom and the other has provider, which has priority.

Edrock200

In this case both have custom posters but they are different custom posters, as the 4K has a 4K badge on it. We are running some tests to see if we can determine how emby determines this, but if anyone has any insight into how emby decides and/or how to prioritize that would be great. 

Happy2Play

Don't know for sure but it appears the images from the first folder assigned to the library are used.

In my test images came from first folder and images in second folder were never used.

image.thumb.png.30a1bb6882335a06599565eb45cef3ee.png

Except for say season when you only have specific seasons in specific folders.  Otherwise everything from first folder.

image.thumb.png.644291d2bbf2fbe0dbda47f3bd446095.png

I deleted poster in UI and it removed from first folder and never failed over to second folder images.

Edrock200

Thank you. Our first test, we reordered the folders by editing the library XML file, restarted and scanned but that didn't seem to work. Now we are checking to see if it's literal folder path by alphabetical order. So  we remapped the 4K folder in docker to come first alphabetically, added it as a path, and are scanning again and awaiting it to finish. In your test it's hard to say if it came from folder order or alpha since C comes before E. But when opening the episodes, the order of the merged items always shows the paths in alpha order.

Happy2Play

In the end I think it comes back to import order as the modifying the options xml order will not change the order they were imported in, only the way they appear in the UI under that library.

Edrock200

14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

In the end I think it comes back to import order as the modifying the options xml order will not change the order they were imported in, only the way they appear in the UI under that library.

I think you're right. We will let this scan finish and see how it does but if initial results are accurate (e.g. post scan tasks don't change anything), here's what we've found:

The order in which the paths are added appear to be how the poster/media asset priority is determined.

With regard to which version is selected by default, this appears to be alphabetically by path. With the docker path remap, 4K root paths are alphabetically first, so now it's defaulting to 4K versions vs HD versions. So it looks like if you want 4K assets (posters) AND 4K to be default selected, you need to build the library with 4K paths added first AND make your 4K paths alphabetically first for the default selection.

Interestingly, the selected version doesn't appear to always be respected though. It seems to be autoselecting based on bandwidth preferences regardless of the version selected. e.g. if I force streaming bandwidth to 100mbs, and I have a 4mbs 1080p file, and a 20mbs 4k file, and I force select the 1080p version, it still seems to try and play the 4K version, unless I drop my streaming bandwidth to below 20mbs, then it will play the 1080p file.