Groups for Tags (like collections for tags)

Romek123

Romek123

The Idea:
Collection for Tags

Why?
It would solve the problem with not having Smart playlists in a smart and new cool way.
There are a lot possible tags that fits in same category and with some creativity there are a lot cool dynamic collections possible.
And i don't think this would need much work for the emby team to implement as almost everything is in emby already.

I will explain on 1 example collection:

Collection Superheros
- here i add superhero tags like Batman, Spiderman, Iron man, Wonder woman etc.
- When i now click on this colleciton i see the list of this tags
- when choose for example "batman" i get all movies/shows/etc. that have the tag batman

What Collections would be possible? (examples)
- Collection: Superheros
 (tags: Spiderman, Thor, Iron Man, etc.)
- Collection: Martial Arts
 (tags: Kung Fu, Karate, Shaolin, Ninja, Samurai, etc.)
- Collection: Wars
 (tags: Vietnam war, Iraq War, World war 1, World War 2, etc.)
- Collection: History
 (tags: prehistory, Ancient Times, Rome, Ancien greece, Middle age, Vikings, etc.)
- Collection Privat Videos (Home Videos)
 (tags: Grandma, Paul, peter, Mary , whatever ...)
- Collection Holydays
 (tag: Christmas, Helloween, etc.)

What would be great to have:
- A Mainpage Widget that show this collections (would be great when each collection can have own sort title or number so the admin can decide the order)

*most tags listed in my examples are available on TMDB anyway and people have them scraped already

Edited by Romek123
  • Like 2

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Romek123 said:

I will explain on 1 example collection:

Collection Superheros
- here i add superhero tags like Batman, Spiderman, Iron man, Wonder woman etc.
- When i now click on this colleciton i see the list of this tags
- when choose for example "batman" i get all movies/shows/etc. that have the tag batman

How is that different the clicking Movies-Tags?  I can click SuperHeros and see all movies with that tag.

Edited by Happy2Play

Spaceboy
18 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

How is that different the clicking Movies-Tags?  I can click SuperHeros and see all movies with that tag.

because he wants to tag thing by individual superheroes and then put all those tags into a superhero collection.

its very clearly explained...

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

because he wants to tag thing by individual superheroes and then put all those tags into a superhero collection.

its very clearly explained...

And how is pulling up superheros tag any different?  Are they not the exact same thing just a different route?  You get all items with that tag, even filter would provider the same result.

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

And how is pulling up superheros tag any different?  Are they not the exact same thing just a different route?  You get all items with that tag, even filter would provider the same result.

well your approach requires tagging all movies both with the individual superhero tags and the summary superhero tag. the outcome is the same but your approach requires more work

Romek123

And how is pulling up superheros tag any different?

ok i try it to explain on this example again

"the difference is i would not get all superhero movies mashed together, i can choose individually by a superhero"

- The Collection: "Superheros" would be a collection for different tags - not for movies

- when i open this collection "Superheros" i get shown only the tags i saved in this collection - not the movies

for this example i would get when open my "superhero tag collection"  a list like:

- batman (tag)

- Spiderman (tag)

- Iron man (tag)

- Wonder woman (tag)

- Superman (tag)

... and so on

when i now click one of this tags inside my "superhero tag collection" i get all the movies i have tagged with this - for example all superman movies or shows

Edited by Romek123

Vicpa

Hi

This is a really good idea! Collections, however, refer to existing functionality in emby. To avoid confusion, I have been calling this Tag types or groups. Same thing.

In the above example the type or group would be "superheros" and the tags Batman etc. 

For me I would not want them to show up on the collection view, as they are different things.

The regular tag view would be fine.. If it was sorted or aggregated by group. 

For example..

(Header) SuperHeros:

Batman (tag)      Wonder woman (tag)

This would work for a variety of media type. Movies music etc. and variety of aggregations. 

@Luke this is what I was suggesting as a way to handle music "Styles". The group/type would be "Style" and then the  various tags "Big Band" etc would be sorted/aggregated by group.

-vicpa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Romek123

To avoid confusion, I have been calling this Tag types or groups.

Yes, i like this a lot more and its less confusing. I did edit the headline to "Groups for Tags"!