WAV Surround files no longer playing - "Error playing audio"

JimmyG

JimmyG

I have my surround audio discs ripped to WAV files and have been successfully playing them back through Emby for years.  For some reason both of my Nvidia Shield TV devices will no longer play these files.  It comes back with 'Error playing audio'.  I'm not sure what has changed, but it's strange that both my devices are producing the same result all of a sudden.  I'm getting frustrated... any ideas?

JimmyG

Hey Luke, thanks for getting back to me!

Ok, so the sideloaded app is playing most of my files back ok now, which is great.  But some songs sound garbled and distorted.

I'm confused why the native app stopped working though, as it worked mostly flawlessly for years.  Did something change recently by chance?  Just trying to understand...

Thanks

Edited by JimmyG

Both have native media playback. The standard app is just a little bit ahead in terms of updates, so this is a good sign that they will resolve the issue.

JimmyG

Thanks ebr.

At this stage I don't think this has anything to do with Emby so I don't want to waste anyone's time.  The initial playback issue seems resolved, but the files sounding garbled and distorted are due to the sample rates supported by my audio system.

I did some checks on my media files to see the difference between the files playing back ok and the files that sound garbled and distorted.  I found one primary difference.  The files that play ok have a 48kHz sample rate.  The files with playback issues have a 96kHz sample rate.

I use a Sonos audio system and just discovered they only support up to 48kHz, which means this specific playback issue has to do with my audio system, not Emby.  Thanks for your help everyone.

Edited by JimmyG
  • Like 1