Flac audio files and browsers

pwhodges

pwhodges

It seems that Windows browsers vary in their handling of Flac audio files (I've not tested Flac audio tracks in video files, nor non-Windows systems):  On my system, Firefox can play them and Chrome/Opera/Edge cannot.

Emby assumes that they can, and so in each of the non-Firefox browsers I get "no compatible stream" when I try.  The end of the attached log should be relevant.

Paul

embyserver.txt

Hi, yes we've seen this over the years although usually it's Firefox with the errors and not Chrome. But each browser audio player seems to have certain things within flac encodings that it can't handle and we haven't yet added any detection to try and find and handle them.

pwhodges

Are the browsers self-sufficient in this, or might this be affected by what codec packs I have installed (I use K-Lite, though my impression is that they all essentially load the same stuff)?  

Or any other audio software (I have a lot).

Paul

Chromium based browsers have everything self-contained. I'm not sure about Firefox but probably the same thing.

Vicpa

Hi,

Flac audio tracks with Edge plays just fine on Win 10 and Win 11 on my devices.