Buffering problem

Peteblue

Peteblue

I have had this problem for well over 12 months, but I have just been too lazy to do something about it. When streaming a film/tv series from  Windows 11 to my Sony TV, after about 30 mins the picture would freeze. It could stay frozen for a minute or just a few seconds. This happens a few times in the space of around 5 mins, then it's OK for another half hour.I normally just leave it until it restarts, and sometimes if I  rewind the film a few seconds, that cures it for a while. The thing is, it is so intermittent, sometimes I have no problem, and can watch a whole film without it freezing

I have a very fast wired connection from my computer to the TV. I am using Emby server 4.7.0.60.The app on the TV is version 2.0.70 I think. The window in the server log for the problem is between 19.30 and 21.30

embyserver-63788902380.txt

Hello Peteblue,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

HI, we're going to have a 4.7.1 update out today so please let us know if that helps with this. Thanks.

Peteblue

Thanks for that, Luke, Emby is saying I'm on the latest version which is what I stated, even though I have auto update on.

I have just gone into my Emby dashboard whilst I'm streaming,it states the speed as only 3.9 mbps. My download speed is well over 500mbps. Could this be the problem?

15 minutes ago, Peteblue said:

Thanks for that, Luke, Emby is saying I'm on the latest version which is what I stated, even though I have auto update on.

I have just gone into my Emby dashboard whilst I'm streaming,it states the speed as only 3.9 mbps. My download speed is well over 500mbps. Could this be the problem?

No, not necessarily, because it depends on the bitrate of the video as well as any quality settings that might have been applied by the client.  Please try the 4.7.1 update and see if that helps. Thanks.

visproduction

The OS for the TV might not recognize that there is any signal at all for some streaming traffic.  It can be a bug in the OS design that only shows up when you have specific type of traffic passing through your TV monitor.  These time out features are sometimes set to only work for standard signal traffic.  I don't know the Sony OS details and this is just a guess.  They do have a page about this issue.  I've seen buggy software time outs that kick in because data traffic is not recognized in online apps since the early 90's.

Don't assume that one type of issue should work because something else works fine.  Software has to be written to handle each situation. 

Edited by visproduction

Peteblue

Thanks for your quick reply in trying to help me. Even though I have read your comment, it still doesn't make sense to me.But I will check out the TV Idle function,and let you know.

Peteblue
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you try what I suggested?

Still waiting for Emby to auto download.I have downloaded the .exe from Emby but can't tell what version it is.Just installed it,and it's the latest one.Will give feed back asap.

Edited by Peteblue

Peteblue

It has been fine since  the update, and has run for around 5 hours without buffering.But I'm not counting my chickens yet,as I have had days like this where it has been ok. But it's looking good, and I will get back to you in a few days to report. Thanks for your support.

• Thanks 1

Peteblue

Just a quick update.Apart from a pause for a second, it has streamed perfectly for the last few days.Can you tell me if this problem was specifically addressed in the update?

Hi, not specifically but you never know. I would try updating and report your experience. Thanks.