1660ti vs 3050 or 3060

davedick

davedick

My Emby setup currently has a 1660TI, which I used the unlock patch.  I was curious on if anybody upgraded their Emby rig to a 30 series graphics card and if so, what improvement/benefits, etc did you notice?

I noticed that I can get a few more simulations transcodes between the two,

rbjtech

You will find that the it is the number of nvdec/nvenc pipelines and card memory that largely determine the number of transcodes - the 3D performance of the card is irrelevant.

A 1660Ti has 6Gb Mem, so this is why it is limited to only 5 streams.

As an example (and proven in the graphs shown above) - my 6 year old GTX 1070 (8Gb) can transcode just as many 4K streams as an RTX 3050/70/80 (8Gb model) with 6 streams !   The higher memory 30xx models can of course transcode more.   

davedick
16 hours ago, rbjtech said:

You will find that the it is the number of nvdec/nvenc pipelines and card memory that largely determine the number of transcodes - the 3D performance of the card is irrelevant.

A 1660Ti has 6Gb Mem, so this is why it is limited to only 5 streams.

As an example (and proven in the graphs shown above) - my 6 year old GTX 1070 (8Gb) can transcode just as many 4K streams as an RTX 3050/70/80 (8Gb model) with 6 streams !   The higher memory 30xx models can of course transcode more.   

I looked at the site that Luke mentioned which I see it shows the 3050 and 3070 having the same number, which I assumed was based on the amount of vRam. 

If the amount of ram does help with the concurrent number of transcodes, would it be wrong to think that a 3060 12 GB would be better to have compared to a 3060 TI?

Of course when I look at the Nvidia Encode/Decode list, they only have 3060 laptop listed. Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix [NEW] | NVIDIA Developer

rbjtech
2 hours ago, davedick said:

If the amount of ram does help with the concurrent number of transcodes, would it be wrong to think that a 3060 12 GB would be better to have compared to a 3060 TI?

Simply put - yes.  A 12Gb 3060 should be able to transcode double the number of 4K streams of any 6Gb model.

The decode/encode pipelines have improved over generations of cards (quality/speed/codecs etc) so it's not JUST about memory - but that is THE significant factor when transcoding 4K content as each stream takes ~1Gb of memory, regardless of the card capabilities.

Edited by rbjtech

RanmaCanada

Honestly for the price you are better off upgrading the CPU in your system for an 11th or 12th gen Intel and just use Quicksync.

• Like 1