Emby Update 4.7.0.60 won't install on Shield

KenFlix21

KenFlix21

I'm having trouble installing the latest Emby update on my 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro.

Steps Taken:

1. I've downloaded the APK twice from the Emby.media site using downloader.
  2. I'm prompted to install, and I click install.
  3. Immediately I'm notified that the app will not install, and I click Done.
  4. A status window comes up, and I click Install.
  5. I'm again asked to install, and I click install.
  6. I'm notified again app is not installed, and click done.
  7. I'm taken back to the status screen, I click done and go over to files.
  8. I see the files have been downloaded and where they went.
  9. I check that permissions are in order and they are.
  10. I can see and access the files from my PC in the directory they are supposed to reside.

My question: is there a work-around method I can use to install this update?

emby-wont-install-1.jpg

emby-wont-install-2.jpg

emby-wont-install-3.jpg

emby-wont-install-4.jpg

emby-wont-install-5.jpg

emby-wont-install-6.jpg

emby-wont-install-7.jpg

emby-wont-install-8.jpg

emby-wont-install-9.jpg

emby-wont-install-10.jpg

HI there, have you configured your Shield to install apps to external storage? If so that could the reason for this.

KenFlix21
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI there, have you configured your Shield to install apps to external storage? If so that could the reason for this.

Yes, I have a 1 TB SanDisk SSD USB configured as internal storage. This is how I installed 4.6.7 this past February. As a side note, I did shut down the server prior to the installation attempt.

Edited by KenFlix21
Typo

We changed the manifest to only allow installation on internal storage only. Unfortunately with the latest Shield OS updates, a lot of features are unable to work if the server is not installed onto internal storage. It can't launch it's embedded ffmpeg build which means no transcoding of any sort, it can't even launch it's embedded ffprobe which means no media analysis during the library scan. It is extremely handicapped if installed onto external storage.

KenFlix21
4 hours ago, Luke said:

It is extremely handicapped if installed onto external storage.

It’s a shame that you guys couldn’t figure that out. 

• 6 months later...
shackbill

Im having the same problem trying to go from 4.6.70 to 4.7.10.0 (or 4.8.0.19) does this mean i will have to remove my entire server installation and start over and reconfig everything? Also, will that prevent me from storing meta on my usb attached drive?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 2:05 PM, shackbill said:

Im having the same problem trying to go from 4.6.70 to 4.7.10.0 (or 4.8.0.19) does this mean i will have to remove my entire server installation and start over and reconfig everything? Also, will that prevent me from storing meta on my usb attached drive?

HI, unfortunately, yes, although our backup procedures can help make this easier:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

@cayars can share knowledge on using usb drives with the Shield server. Thanks.

Recent versions of Android OS have made this much more complicated then when Emby was released for this platform.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:06 PM, KenFlix21 said:

It’s a shame that you guys couldn’t figure that out. 

It's not a matter of figuring it out but working in the constraints of the new OS releases which have drastically changed security wise.
These changes don't just affect the software (server) installation but also the way media needs to be stored as well.

My opinion only, but I would no longer recommend this setup as it's becoming harder and harder to use with each new OS release. A cheap used NUC with QuickSync or even a Raspberry Pi if you don't need much in the way of transcoding, running a standard Linux install is far easier to work with and gives you the normal freedom in how you do storage.

I would suggest you consider moving your setup to a PC running either Windows or Linux as you'll be much happier in the long run.

shackbill

yea i actually did buy a NUC  (NUC11PAHi5) with 16GB RAM/ 512GB SSD before xmas and set it up and its a much cleaner solution. its fast and does auto updates and easy to maintain. just gotta setup Emby as a service when im not so lazy. Ii was having an occasional hang on some 4K material but it appears to have worked itself out.

The shield is having more problems as well. not sure if its due to OS updates or my failed upgrade of EMby but now the install cant access any of my media shares. Shield still sees the mounted shares but cant read anything.  Time for the scrap heap i reckon although it still works ok as a client. but i think i might go to the new Apple TV its pretty fast and good looking. 

Thanks.

On 1/6/2023 at 1:20 PM, shackbill said:

yea i actually did buy a NUC  (NUC11PAHi5) with 16GB RAM/ 512GB SSD before xmas and set it up and its a much cleaner solution. its fast and does auto updates and easy to maintain. just gotta setup Emby as a service when im not so lazy. Ii was having an occasional hang on some 4K material but it appears to have worked itself out.

The shield is having more problems as well. not sure if its due to OS updates or my failed upgrade of EMby but now the install cant access any of my media shares. Shield still sees the mounted shares but cant read anything.  Time for the scrap heap i reckon although it still works ok as a client. but i think i might go to the new Apple TV its pretty fast and good looking. 

Thanks.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.