emby user on synology

gporter416
Go to solution Solved by gporter416,

gporter416

Went to package center (DSM7) to install emby and felt I missed a step in user creation first to see shared folders so I uninstalled to try and reinstall after I created emby user with permissions to shared content.  In synology though I never saw the emby user listed and can't create it as it says it already exists and says it was reserved for system use only.  I think when I installed before and went through setup it did this but assumed I should see user in the users list on control panel or removed after uninstall.emby.png.5320032c6c065739be6645c40ca689fe.png

I created emby user with permissions to shared content.

Hi, I wouldn't do this. The server package will set this up for you. I'm not sure what the impact will be of already having it on your system.

bjjones

I think your confusing Emby users as in users defined on your emby server to watch things and synology users. When you install Emby server on the NAS it creates a user "emby" in DSM, it's a system internal user and that's why DSM isn't letting you create another. When you do the emby server install it defaults to creating a first user "emby" as a user on your new emby server to watch things.

They're completely different accounts. The synology DSM emby user needs to be granted permissions to wherever you put your media libraries, I think most of us use a shared folder 'Media'. Pick whatever folder you're using for your media and make sure the permissions on it are correct by going into permissions on it then use the drop down from local users to system internal users where you'll see user 'emby' that the server itself uses (Control Panel/Shared Folders/highlight the folder/edit/permissions). The emby server created users to watch things are all handled by the emby server itself and don't need anything done in DSM (they won't even show up as users because they aren't defined in DSM)

Edited by bjjones

• Solution
gporter416

Thanks, the reason I was reinstalling is the emby user doesn't show anywhere in DSM users to where I can assign privilege's to a shared folder. The reason I was doing this was because I couldn't browse or add manually Library folders in emby..  Found articles, youtube on creating user first etc.. I uninstalled because I couldn't see the emby users in Control panel> User & Groups>users to assign read privileges' to the emby user it created. 

To your point and thanks bjjones, To see the user I had to: 

permissions on it then use the drop down from local users to system internal users where you'll see user 'emby' that the server itself uses (Control Panel/Shared Folders/highlight the folder/edit/permissions)

I can try and reinstall emby and see now if it sees the shared folder