Question about creation date vs date scanned into library and old show

gene0915

gene0915

I have a 'Classic TV' library. In this example, the old 80's show, Airwolf is in there. I want to do away with that library and merge everything into the main 'TV Shows' library.

When I moved Airwolf from the classic folder to the main TV folder, it showed up as a recently added TV show. At the time, my library was configured to display stuff according to 'date scanned into library'. I switched it to 'use file creation date' (these files were created years ago) and it still shows up as recently added. Then, i switched the library back to 'date scanned into the library' and edited the metadata for the show to give it a date added of: 12-1-2000 and saved it but when I go back in, that field is still blank.

Here's some extra weirdness. I did all this originally on server version 4.6.7.0? When I first went to edit the metadata for 'date added', it had today's date (expected). I clicked on that field and it popped up a calendar and I could pick a new date. I saved the changes and it 'stuck'. Then, I went into a single episode and it had today's date. I figured if it was editing the main show's metadata for 'date added', it would propagate that to the entire series (wishful thinking? :) )

So I thought "hey, 4.7 just released today.....let me try that'......... no difference. But now when I click on the field to edit the metadata for 'date added', I don't get the calendar pop-up and if I enter: 12-1-2000 or 12/1/2000 and save it..... when I go out and back in, the field is blank.

What am I doing wrong? I just want to make this old TV show NOT show up as 'recently added' because I have about 50+ shows to migrate and don't want all this old stuff polluting up the recently added section.

Thanks

Happy2Play

This setting only applies to when the item is imported.  Also it is about the episode added dates not really the Series added dates.  But I guess that depends on the view you are looking at.

One date does not propagate to different level as they are all independant of each other and each view will reflect that.

Assuming your file creation dates are correct you would remove series do a library scan then readd the series.  Or if you write nfo files you could use something like tinyMediaManager and change the date to release date or if you like support and purchase the TimeLord plugins.

gene0915
10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

This setting only applies to when the item is imported.  Also it is about the episode added dates not really the Series added dates.  But I guess that depends on the view you are looking at.

One date does not propagate to different level as they are all independant of each other and each view will reflect that.

Assuming your file creation dates are correct you would remove series do a library scan then readd the series.  Or if you write nfo files you could use something like tinyMediaManager and change the date to release date or if you like support and purchase the TimeLord plugins.

Ok, makes sense, thanks for the info!

Hmmmm..... would this work.......... adjusting my system date back about 20 years, adding all the old stuff, scan the library for changes then set the correct system time? (Asking first since I don't want to risk damaging my database or screwing something up royally :) )

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, gene0915 said:

Ok, makes sense, thanks for the info!

Hmmmm..... would this work.......... adjusting my system date back about 20 years, adding all the old stuff, scan the library for changes then set the correct system time? (Asking first since I don't want to risk damaging my database or screwing something up royally :) )

Possibly but not sure on what complications that may happen.

Do you write nfo files with media?

gene0915
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Possibly but not sure on what complications that may happen.

Do you write nfo files with media?

I'm happy to report that setting my system time back a few decades... adding the old TV shows.... scanning my library ... then putting my system time back to present day gave me the desired outcome! All my old TV shows are added and they don't appear in the 'recently added' section! I've played a few old/new shows and movies and Emby appears to be working AOK.

No, I don't bother with nfo files, I just let Emby take care of everything internally.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, gene0915 said:

I'm happy to report that setting my system time back a few decades... adding the old TV shows.... scanning my library ... then putting my system time back to present day gave me the desired outcome! All my old TV shows are added and they don't appear in the 'recently added' section! I've played a few old/new shows and movies and Emby appears to be working AOK.

No, I don't bother with nfo files, I just let Emby take care of everything internally.

Glad it worked.

Only other route since you do not write nfo files would have been updating these items specifically in the database.