Emby 4.7.0.60 Live TV closed caption bug

ulanov

ulanov

Congrats on the amazing cornucopia of additions and improvements in the new server edition.

At least running on QNAP there's a bug on Live TV closed captions.  A new play instance starts with closed captions ON (rather than the presumed default of OFF).

On the web player, however, the closed captions do NOT display.  Turning them off and back on does not cause them to display.

On the Android mobile player closed captions also start as ON in a new play instance, and they DO display - but they CANNOT be turned OFF.  If using an external player on the Android mobile app they also start as ON, DO display, and CANNOT be turned OFF.

Just FYI - inevitable issues of some kind, of course, with any new massive release.

Edited by ulanov

ulanov

Hi. What do you want as an example?  The behavior described is universal on my installation.  Not clear to me what logs would help, but maybe you have something you want, and any screenshot is simply going to show a screen with no captions on the web (Win10) player and with captions playing on the Android player.  Pressing closed captions on or off doesn't change this.  Let me know anything else I can provide.

Hi, 

• Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. See the section below titled Emby Server Logs. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. If a server transcoding log was also generated during playback (in the server logs folder), please attach that as well.

Thanks !

ulanov

Here you are.  I have attached the server log and the various transcode logs in a zipped folder.  Here is also a screenshot from my Win10 web player showing that although the Closed Captions are set to ON (by default at initial playing - contrary to expectation) no Closed Captions are displaying.

After rebooting my QNAP NAS, Emby server, Win10 PC, and Android 11 phone multiple times, I can report that 4.7.0.60 Live TV with my HDHomeRun Quatro Closed Captions functions as follows:

- On Win10 web player (regardless of browser) a Live TV channel selection starts with Closed Captions ON (rather than the expected default of OFF), but does NOT display any text; toggling On and Off makes no difference - text remains off; screen shot attached

- On Android 11 and 10 (different phones) a Live TV channel selection starts with Closed Captions ON (rather than the expected default of OFF), but DOES respond to toggling captions Off and On

- On Firestick a Live TV channel selection starts with Closed Captions OFF (as expected) and DOES respond to toggling Off and On.

So, Closed Captions broken on web player, starting incorrectly on Android mobile app, and working correctly on Firestick.  Sorry no up-to-date installed Shield, Roku, Android TV, etc. to test on other installations. 

screenshot Win10 web player.jpg

embyserver.txt transcodes.zip

ulanov

Spoke too soon on the Firestick working:

Any Live TV program recorded AFTER installation of 4.7.0.60 played on a Firestick is starting up with Closed Captions enabled, though you CAN turn them off.

Programs added to the Guide after installation (I think that's the distinction) played Live on the Firestick are also starting up with Closed Captions enabled, though you CAN turn them off on the Firestick.

So Firestick also not behaving as expected with Closed Captions (at least pulling off this QNAP server).  All previously reported behavior about web player and Android still applies.

ulanov

In 4.7.1, Closed Captions/subtitles still defaulting to ON status, though on some devices not displaying despite that, and cannot for most devices be turned OFF.  (Only way to stop them is manually on each playing if possible (depending on device) or to set subtitles to never display (or only forced subtitles) in server settings, which makes subtitles nonfunctional.)

There have been many comments in 4.7.0.60 on subtitle issues but none quite with the issue in this thread.  Is it possible only QNAP (or only QNAP arm) server systems are being affected this way?  If it's a known issue with a fix coming at some point, would be good to know.  Certainly there are undoubtedly more important issues for @Luke and other devs to work on first, I'm sure but would like to know if the issue is identified.  Thanks.

By the way closed captions follow the emby user subtitle options, so that would be why they're defaulting to on, depending on how you've set it.

ulanov

Yes, thanks - I know Closed Captions and subtitles both follow the server setting default.

But it's NOT working on the web player, Android player, or iPad (at least for me on my QNAP server).  All devices on playing a file or broadcast follow the default instruction - that is subtitles on or off - but that CANNOT be changed on the device itself for the particular playing.  If the server is set to OFF, subtitles stay off even if they are selected for on manually during playback; if the server is set to ON, subtitles keep displaying even if they are selected for off manually.  The manual setting shows correctly when one goes back to look at the setting during playback, but the behavior (displaying on or off) does NOT change to correspond with the displayed manual setting.  (An example of that is shown in an earlier post above.)  The exception is the Firestick which does follow manual settings correctly, but no joy with web, Android, or iPad.

My question, @Luke - and then I'll leave you alone to deal with more important things! - is, Do you all know of this bug/behavior, or am I the only one experiencing it?  I've reinstalled server and device apps so it seems pretty stuck in my QNAP configuration at least.  FYI, This is new behavior since 4.7.0.60.  Thank you! 

If you turn off hardware transcoding in server transcoding options, how does that compare?

ulanov

Yup, that's it.  Specifically, the H.264 hardware encoder [identified as VAAPI Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics - H.264 (AVC)].

The subtitles/captions are displaying in the wrong place and small text size on the screen for the web player, Android, and iPad apps, but you're looking at that in other threads.

And of course turning the hardware encoder off degrades playback unfortunately.

But thanks so much for localizing it!  Will be very interested ultimately to know if it's only my server that does this or if it's more widespread.

Much appreciated.