Start recording at start of show, not start of recording?

crusher11

crusher11

On my cable DVR, I have it set to pad recordings by 5 minutes at the start and 10 minutes at the end. When I select a recording, it defaults to starting at 5 minutes in, and then I can fast-forward or rewind a few second as needed.

On Emby, I have the same setup, but it will only let me start a recording at the actual start of the recording, meaning I have to fast-forward five minutes manually to get to the start of the show. Is there no way to get it to start at the correct point?

SamES

All my recordings automatically get chapter marks created at 5 minute intervals. If you scroll down on the detail page do you see chapters for your recordings?

30352330_PNGimage.thumb.png.6ea0a666e0f8ec0559dabbbb781a5499.png

crusher11

I guess that suffices as a workaround, but only in an instance where the padding is a multiple of five and the viewer knows what it is. 

That's an interesting feature but I have the same question as Sammy.  If you always want to start 5 minutes in, why are you padding it?

Sammy

The guide data is updated once a day.

Is the clock on your computer updated daily too?

crusher11

I've never recorded anything on Emby, but on my cable box I've had to rewind a handful of times because a show started early.

It's only once every few hundred recordings, but better safe than sorry. 

CBers
4 minutes ago, Sammy said:

The guide data is updated once a day.

Is the clock on your computer updated daily too?

You can never guarantee that a programme will start at the exact time it should, hence why padding is available so as not to miss the beginning, if it starts a fraction early, or the end, if the programme starts a bit late.

My TiVo box has 3 minutes at the start and 5 minutes at the end.

Same in Emby.

pwhodges

I allow one minute at the start, and have been caught out just once.  I currently add five minutes at the end, because three wasn't enough.

As for daily updates, it's not long since a program I wanted to record was delayed by 20 minutes because of government announcement.  Fortunately I heard about it and was able to change the end time to suit.

Of course, my old stand-alone recorders got live info over the air which told them when the program actually started and ended - but I presume this is (a) not universal, and (b) costly.

Paul

crusher11
20 hours ago, CBers said:

You can never guarantee that a programme will start at the exact time it should, hence why padding is available so as not to miss the beginning, if it starts a fraction early, or the end, if the programme starts a bit late.

My TiVo box has 3 minutes at the start and 5 minutes at the end.

Same in Emby.

Yeah, I've never needed the full five minutes but I've needed 1-2 pretty regularly and there was a time when I was prepadding by only one minute and it still missed the start of the show. Five is the only other option on my cable box so that's what I've been using, and I just carried that over to Emby.