How can I tell EMBY to use more ram?

xxAmigoxx

xxAmigoxx

In my case I have enough memory available just for emby . 16GB memory available only 1.5Gb in use.  How can I tell EMBY to use more ram when Playing so it hammers HDD less? scenario: same file playing by several users.  or 10 users playing 10 different files.

CassTG

Im not sure i am understanding right, but here goes

Ram is great for caching OS bits and Bobs as well as assets etc to speed up delivery of various items (like emby html etc), but that would not include video media. First off lets say you have 16gb Ram and 10 users even if it were feasible that it could be cached to ram to play from you could only fit sdtv version in memory if you were lucky.

You can increase DB sizes etc which does improve performance of Emby responsiveness and there are guides here to do that

The media is on the HD for the obvious reason the files are huge, so there is no way getting around that unless you mount say google drive as your media storage host.

Edited by CassTG

xxAmigoxx
47 minutes ago, CassTG said:

Im not sure i am understanding right, but here goes

Ram is great for caching OS bits and Bobs as well as assets etc to speed up delivery of various items (like emby html etc), but that would not include video media. First off lets say you have 16gb Ram and 10 users even if it were feasible that it could be cached to ram to play from you could only fit sdtv version in memory if you were lucky.

You can increase DB sizes etc which does improve performance of Emby responsiveness and there are guides here to do that

The media is on the HD for the obvious reason the files are huge, so there is no way getting around that unless you mount say google drive as your media storage host.

I am not looking for full Movie cache. when someone playing a  video lets say cache 4GB of a  movie in ram. I am assuming thats not possible. Ok its fine.
Also I did a quick search but I cant find any post about increasing DB size. what does DB stand for? database?

Edited by xxAmigoxx

Q-Droid

Emby will use the RAM it needs to operate and there is no advantage to forcing more. Caching file data is up to the OS, which it will do, though the benefit is when the same data is accessed multiple times - the data must be read at least once to load it and this happens at the block/segment/buffer level for the filesystem - not entire files. This is pretty much automatic and default unless specifically overridden to prevent buffered I/O which very few would do and for specific workloads. With enough RAM it is possible to end up with entire files/media cached in RAM but again, this benefits subsequent access to the same files.

xxAmigoxx
59 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Emby will use the RAM it needs to operate and there is no advantage to forcing more. Caching file data is up to the OS, which it will do, though the benefit is when the same data is accessed multiple times - the data must be read at least once to load it and this happens at the block/segment/buffer level for the filesystem - not entire files. This is pretty much automatic and default unless specifically overridden to prevent buffered I/O which very few would do and for specific workloads. With enough RAM it is possible to end up with entire files/media cached in RAM but again, this benefits subsequent access to the same files.

Do you know how I can increase DB size? any link? 

Happy2Play

In 4.6 it is in the system.xml and in 4.7 it is exposed in the UI.

xxAmigoxx
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

In 4.6 it is in the system.xml and in 4.7 it is exposed in the UI.

And where is "system.xml" located in a linux machine? (ubuntu 20.04)

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, xxAmigoxx said:

And where is "system.xml" located in a linux machine? (ubuntu 20.04)

You can see the data path in a server log or on the dashboard, but something like this "/var/lib/emby/config"

xxAmigoxx
53 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You can see the data path in a server log or on the dashboard, but something like this "/var/lib/emby/config"

thanks found it image.png.dd35f854f223aef0df367850b0b3c708.png