Local DNS SSL

wavyroel
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

wavyroel

Dear Emby Team,

First of all, thank you for this amazing service. I'm quite enjoying all the features and its a very nice addition to my Homelab.

There is something Ive been wondering and would like to know if this is possible:

I currently have PIHole running on one of my VMs that is serving as my DNS server, this way it is possible to configure Local DNS and give all my machines a separate subdomain (e.g emby.domain.com, pihole.domain.com). Today I created an SSL certificate for the subdomain called emby.domain.com (not my real domain ofcourse). Used the following commands:

sudo certbot -d *.domain.com --manual --preferred-challenges dns certonly
openssl pkcs12 -export -out bundle.pfx -inkey privkey.pem -in cert.pem -certfile chain.pem

Certificate was made successfully and I tried configuring it in Emby using the correct PFX password, specifying my subdomain in the settings etc. However unfortunately I cannot connect to https://emby.domain.com:8920 . As you guys implemented a whole custom port for local HTTPS I should be able to configure my Emby this way right? Am I forgetting something important?

http://emby.domain.com:8096 is reachable by the way.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Roel

wavyroel
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what happens when you try?

There is no page served so it gives me an unable to connect:

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Ports are open, I double checked that.

• 3 months later...
wavyroel

Hi all, just wanted to share (very very late) that there was some other unix service interfering with my setup as Emby was not the only Unix Service running on my server. After some tcp dumping (Port interference) and reading the emby logs I was able to solve this issue

Edited by wavyroel
  • Thanks 1