Has anyone else

TolkienBard

TolkienBard

Experienced problems streaming the movie Serenity using MB? I ask because I've encountered the oddest thing. About 36 minutes into the movie (when they are discussing River's "sleep word") the movie freezes up, no matter what device I am playing it on. I thought at first I had a bad rip or corrupt file. So I deleted the file and re-ripped. I wound up with the same issue. But playing the disc in the player, it plays fine. So, I decided that maybe something might still be wonky with my brother's disc so I dropped $10 on a fresh copy of the move and ripped it. I encountered the same difficulty in the same place. Then I tried playing the film in VLC Player and it played flawlessly. To date, after hundreds of films and many hundreds of television episodes, this is the only title I have had behave in this manner. Most annoyingly, it happens to impact the Firefly experience for a household of Browncoats.

• Like 1

shaefurr

Just curious what format is it ripped as? My bluray of Serenity is an mkv and it plays just fine.

TolkienBard

Mine is ripped to mkv as well. I suppose that answers my question though (with the answer I quite frankly expected). *sigh* I get to now spend hours trying to troubleshoot what is going on without any more information than what I have already put out here. It would be just my luck that one of the 25-30 movies that must always be available at all times for multiple parties would be one of the ones acting up.

Didn't have my copy on the server so I thought I'd rip mine to see if I had the same issue, played all the way through ok. Also it killed 2 birds with one stone ... I've been really slack getting everything ripped.

Is it just for the MKV container ? You may not use them normally but if you rip to MP4 or just AVI does it do the same thing ? It may help with the troubleshooting if the other formats work.

TolkienBard

Didn't have my copy on the server so I thought I'd rip mine to see if I had the same issue, played all the way through ok. Also it killed 2 birds with one stone ... I've been really slack getting everything ripped.

Is it just for the MKV container ? You may not use them normally but if you rip to MP4 or just AVI does it do the same thing ? It may help with the troubleshooting if the other formats work.

I may try ripping to mp4 and see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion. I honestly have no idea what the issue could be, especially since it is with fresh rips from 2 separate discs, one of the brand new. If the glitch was in different places each time, it would actually be a bit less confounding, as then it would likely be a player issue. But that's unlikely the case here, especially since you and shaefurr both are playing the movie fine using the same program I am. 

TolkienBard

I wasn't aware a transcode log was generated for direct play. I'll have to turn on transcode logging and check it out. I'll  make that one of my weekend projects.