Camera upload to temp location if destination discs are idle

MSI2017

MSI2017

Hi all,

So in general I love Emby and especially how efficient it is on my server, using almost no resources when idle which is good for the electricity bill and the planet. There are some small things that I think would be super cool if they could be implemented. 

Regarding pictures I've already made a topic about that (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/107107-more-extensive-photo-features/#comment-1127260) but I think (and fully understand) that that will take a while before it gets implemented. In the meantime camera upload is still suitable for pure backup purposes. I would love to have the option to schedule uploading, right now there isn't that much configuration apart from uploading on WiFi only. Being able to set a scheduled time would be nice. Now for the niche features: the hard drives in my home server are mostly spun down when not in use. If nobody uses it the drives go to sleep to prolong their lifespan and reduce electricity consumption. I would love to see that when users upload pictures to the server that Emby will place them on the SSD temporarily untill a hard drive spins up, only to move it to its final destination folder at that moment. So the files could be waiting on the SSD, I might start watching something on emby causing the drive to spin up, and Emby will notice that and move the files from the SSD to the HDD. Very rare use-case but I think possibly quite beneficial. 

Secretly I've been thinking about Emby server serving multiple purposes since its so easy to set up. How cool would it be to compete with Own/nextcloud and Google Photo's by having Emby Photo's, Emby Drive etc. Would also allow for more tailor-made interfaces. 

Edited by MSI2017

Hi.  Please create a single topic per feature so that we can adequately track it.  I've converted this one to your first request.

Thanks.

MSI2017
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Please create a single topic per feature so that we can adequately track it.  I've converted this one to your first request.

Thanks.

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply! 

Will do, should I remove the converting request and move that to a new separate topic? 

Can I adjust the title of this topic, it's not really about the destination not being available but just being in a standby mode 

Just now, MSI2017 said:

should I remove the converting request and move that to a new separate topic?

Yes, please.

1 minute ago, MSI2017 said:

it's not really about the destination not being available but just being in a standby mode 

That would be unavailable to Emby - why is really a secondary consideration.

Thanks.

MSI2017
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

That would be unavailable to Emby - why is really a secondary consideration.

The destination is fully available to Emby and the OS for that matter. It's just that my drives stop the platters from spinning when not in use for 20 minutes. As soon as the OS or Emby needs acces to it the drive will spin up and deliver the files. The problem with camera upload is that I fear that it will constantly start spinning up whenever someone uploads their pictures. That's why it would be nice if Emby stores the photo's in a temp folder untill the drives are spun up (either at a pre-determined time) or whenever someone plays media through emby (which would also cause the drive the media is on to spin up)

I'll remove the second request

Okay, well, I'm afraid that is even more esoteric of a request :).  I don't believe there is any way Emby can know that your drives have spun down.  That is deliberately a transparent situation to the consumer.

MSI2017
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, well, I'm afraid that is even more esoteric of a request :).  I don't believe there is any way Emby can know that your drives have spun down.  That is deliberately a transparent situation to the consumer.

Emby doesn't need to be aware of the drive state. If it is streaming media from a given drive it can assume the drive is active. Or being able to set a time to do it would also work since Windows always spins up the drives at 2 in the morning. 

But yeah it's very esoteric indeed 

Edited by MSI2017

Hi.  I won't reject this request but this situation is so unusual that I really doubt it would make it into the product - at least not anytime very soon.

Perhaps you could attack your issue from a different angle and have Emby always upload to your SSD and then have a script or something that moves the files over to the new location?