Multiple files transcoding for no apparent reasons (Logs attached)

djodars

djodars

Hello Emby team!

I have a problem playing a few 4K Dolby Vision files in which there is a lot of buffering I'm assuming due to transcoding.
However, I have an Nvidia Shield Pro (directly plugged to the network, not wifi) and I'm passing the audio through an AVR that supports all audio formats (NAD T758 v3).

Attached are the relevant logs & media info for one of these files.

I'm using Emby Server Version 4.7.0.36 beta & Emby app 2.0.70

Don't hesitate if you need anything else to investigate this issue!

media-info.png

ffmpeg-transcode-581604db-4aa4-470f-9da4-681043d67b2e_1.txt embyserver-63787219200.txt

Edited by djodars

Hello djodars,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

rbjtech

I expect these are caused by DV profile 8 hacks - as Ad-Astra has never been released in DV in UHD format.  Somebody has tried to likely take a DV stream of it and overlay the DV onto a UHD Remux.  I suggest using the original HDR10 version..

Edited by rbjtech

djodars
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  It looks like there is some sort of error trying to play it so we are falling back to transcoding.  

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

Sent a log at around 11:05 EST. Let me know if I didn't wait long enough before sending it and I'll do another one.

Here's the exact time I started playback : 2022-05-04 11:04:22.674 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.70g playing Ad Astra. Started at 0 ms

djodars
9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I expect these are caused by DV profile 8 hacks - as Ad-Astra has never been released in DV in UHD format.  Somebody has tried to likely take a DV stream of it and overlay the DV onto a UHD Remux.  I suggest using the original HDR10 version..

This is indeed an hybrid remux that includes the Apple TV Dolby Vision metadata converted to P8 and synced:
https://tv.apple.com/movie/ad-astra/umc.cmc.49wovq1nj958nx4lzr8sj0o8b?at=1001lwuG&ct=4kdatabase&itscg=30200&itsct=tv_box_link

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, djodars said:

This is indeed an hybrid remux that includes the Apple TV Dolby Vision metadata converted to P8 and synced:
https://tv.apple.com/movie/ad-astra/umc.cmc.49wovq1nj958nx4lzr8sj0o8b?at=1001lwuG&ct=4kdatabase&itscg=30200&itsct=tv_box_link

Okay, then that is your answer.  The player isn't compatible with that media.

djodars
Just now, ebr said:

Okay, then that is your answer.  The player isn't compatible with that media.

By player, what do you mean exactly, Emby? Because the Nvidia Shield officially supports Dolby Vision profiles 5, 7 and 8.

Just now, djodars said:

By player, what do you mean exactly, Emby? Because the Nvidia Shield officially supports Dolby Vision profiles 5, 7 and 8.

I mean Google's Android player we use in the app is not expecting the way this media has been constructed.

The log you sent was before any error occurred so I can't see what exactly it doesn't like. Wait until it switches to transcoding and then send the log.

Thanks.

djodars
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

I mean Google's Android player we use in the app is not expecting the way this media has been constructed.

The log you sent was before any error occurred so I can't see what exactly it doesn't like. Wait until it switches to transcoding and then send the log.

Thanks.

Thanks, new logs sent at around 4:00pm EST.

Error occured ~5 minutes 43 seconds into the file.

djodars
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

Also can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

It will generally try to direct play everything, even with software decoding.

I installed the apk but was limited to 1 minute since I don't have Emby Premiere at this point in time.

I skipped to around 5:20 and let it play out. It didn't switch to transcoding until it stopped. Hard to say with the 1 minute limit but it could certainly work.

It is running out of memory.  This is a Pro not a tube, correct?

djodars
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

It is running out of memory.  This is a Pro not a tube, correct?

It is a Pro (2019), yes.

FrostByte

Not all profile 8.1 is a hack so we can't always assume this.  Dolby created profile 8.1 to be used by very high-speed download streaming services like Sony's Bravia Core.   They take the same master used for the UHD and add a DV RPU just like the people on the web are doing (though I'm sure they use different tools).  You can search for "BCORE" in the name if you want a test profile 8.1 file.  They will be mostly Sony titles obviously.

To use Bravia Core It is recommended you have a 115 mbps connection as the bitrate of some movies is rather high just like UHD

BRAVIA CORE - Enjoy Movies Included with Sony's BRAVIA XR TVs | Sony US

• Like 1

rbjtech

I probably should look into this a bit more. 

tbh I'm very sceptical that a 'streaming' copy of a movie has been re-mastered to include DV when it's core UHD release has not.  Call me a cynic, but I expect a large portion of this has to do with licensing/$ to get the 'Dolby Vision' logo on the title of the stream ..   It probably looks no different to the standard HDR version but because the 'Dolby Vision' icon pops up - people are happy..

I wonder if anybody has ever done a side by side comparison ?

What is interesting is the re-mapping of DV to HDR+ or visa-versa.  I only have a couple of HDR10+ movies (that I can only play as HDR) so it's not a big issue for me - but that may be cool to try and convert them to DV.

FrostByte

They don't need to remaster it.  From what I understand they use the same master as the people creating UHD do for the base layer.  The RPU is just metadata.  Combine the two and you get DV profile 8.1.   They just don't have the EL.

Technically, that's all you're getting with profile 7 from Makemkv too though.  Unless you buy something like an Oppo you aren't playing the enhanced layer of profile 7 either. 

Whether a mkv has FEL or MEL shouldn't make a difference because things like the Shield ignore the EL and just use the RPU.  So, converting profile 7 RPU to profile 8.1 RPU should look similar on a Shield or something else that supports profile 8.1.  The Shield would need a second HEVC decoder in order to play the enhanced layer.  You would probably have to convert it back to dual track also.  Combining the two layers was a hack too in order to get things like the Shield to at least play the RPU along with the BL while maintaining the EL for future.

Ya, most of my HDR10+ have DV also.  I'll convert them eventually.  Halo was the first show I started watching which was HDR10+ only

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

Sure. 

By remaster, I mean the film post-production house need to create the variable metadata (the RPU) per scene (or per frame etc) in accordance and agreement with whoever owns the picture.  I not sure why that would be done (at great expense) on a streaming service and not on the UHD release - the only reason I think is a) the streaming service have been paid by or the streaming service have paid to use - the DV licensing - thus it gets a DV RPU added to it - but it's no different to HDR10 - ie a static RPU....

If I am understanding correctly, it's the RPU that does all the hard work on dynamically changing the HDR values - the EL does very little in terms of visual impact ? 

Why is HDR so bl**dy complicated !

FrostByte

Ya, MEL is pretty much just an empty EL file to be compatible with profile 7.  So, all you see anyway is the RPU metadata which is the dynamic scene changes somewhat like HDR10+

For the few DV discs that have a full enhanced layer the FEL layer is supposed to contain the difference between 10-bit and 12-bit color image so when combining the FEL with the 10-bit base layer you get 12-bit colors.  An Oppo is one of the few devices that I'm aware can actually use the FEL in digital (folder format) though.

It is very confusing.

• Like 1