No external connection

EmbyParty

EmbyParty

I can connect via browser (see below). With the emby app on my android phone I get a connection as well. It is an SSL connection with an unofficial certificate. Hence, I was ask in the browser and the app on the phone whether I accept the certificate. If I try to connect with emby theater on my windows laptop it wouldn't connect.

I

image.thumb.png.925d37adb1bc0ee0346e6d9073993d0f.png

image.png.00265c949b9b13ff3eaef82875e65e25.png

The emby server shows the correct ports for internal and external connections. So why can't I connect with emby theater over an web connection. Can someone help?

Cheers, Rafael

EmbyParty

I did some more testing. I tested with emby server 4.67 and 4.7.0.36 beta and got the same result. A further test with a XIAOMI MI Box S  (android device) was successful in that I could connect over the web (https://). The problem exists only with emby theater on windows (win 11).  I already deactivated the windows firewall without success. There is no event in emby server or logfile indicating a failed connection or an failed attempt to sign in.

HI there, what version number of Emby Theater are you using?

EmbyParty

Hey Luke, I think I am using the last version of emby theater: 3.0.15. Is there a way to try an older version? Cheers, Rafael

EmbyParty

With the same url and port number I get a remote connection with chrome and edge browser, with emby for android 3.27 on my cell phone and with an android tv device 2.0.70g . I checked again, no failed authentication or other event is logged when I unsuccessfully try to connect.

Cheers, Rafael

EmbyParty

This is the confirmation dialog from the android app. I press ok and the app establishes the connection. No such dialog with emby theater on windows.

Screenshot_20220506-070205_Emby.thumb.jpg.394aef0972f6812ede47c20e95b3b65a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

with emby for android 3.27

Can you try updating to the latest version of Emby for Android?

EmbyParty

I did. with no effect. Still works with the android app - this time even without asking about the certificate:-)

21 hours ago, EmbyParty said:

I did. with no effect. Still works with the android app - this time even without asking about the certificate:-)

Right well that's the intention. It asks you once and then after that it remembers that you approved it.

EmbyParty

Hi Luke

Sorry for the late response. Yes the issue persist, even with emby server 4.8.0 beta. I found a workaround on a different level though. I use an edge router onto which I installed wireguard. This allows me to connect to the internal network via wireguard vpn. So, I can live with that, but it is not solution to the issue with emby theater. I'm still not able to establish an ssl connection between the theater app on windows and the server. So I'm testing further if you like me to because it might be interesting to finally finding out what the problem is.

Cheers,

Rafael

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
EmbyParty

I'm now positive. It is a certificate problem. I now have a official ssl certificate and the connection works. So emby theater on windows doesn't ask you wether you want to accept an unofficial certificate, it just drops the connection. On all other devices you get to accept the certificate and can establish the connection. I suggest to implement this confirmation dialog into emby theater on windows as well.

Cheers

• 5 months later...
FordGT90Concept

Encountered the same issue here.  I tried HTTP,  HTTPS, IP, and domain name and nothing would work.  Connection attempts don't even show up in the server logs.

9 minutes ago, FordGT90Concept said:

Encountered the same issue here.  I tried HTTP,  HTTPS, IP, and domain name and nothing would work.  Connection attempts don't even show up in the server logs.

That means the requests are not even reaching your Emby Server, and something is blocking the connection. I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks.

FordGT90Concept

It works via browser (have to approve the notice that the certificate is self-signed); doesn't work via Emby Theater.

Here's the browser notice:
image.png.63e2a5f9c2877f8339dda79ee7c59f8b.png

Click "Advanced" and then "Continue to <address>" and it works fine via browser.

Also works fine via app.emby.media in browser.

And here's Emby Theater (the green blocks have matching domain names):
image.png.72258dfc79cc3defa01bb0052a2d8a65.png

Edited by FordGT90Concept

7 minutes ago, FordGT90Concept said:

It works via browser (have to approve the notice that the certificate is self-signed); doesn't work via Emby Theater.

Here's the browser notice:
image.png.63e2a5f9c2877f8339dda79ee7c59f8b.png

Click "Advanced" and then "Continue to <address>" and it works fine via browser.

Also works fine via app.emby.media in browser.

Are you using the Theater store app?

EmbyParty

Seems to be the same problem I had. For some reason emby theater on windows doesn't let you accept a certificate. Therefore you can't establish a connection unless you have an official certificate for your domaine. 

• Agree 1

Unfortunately with the current store app there's no way to force it to accept a self-signed certificate, but the Windows app that we're working on will be able to do this.

• Like 1